Saturday, December 6, 2014

JUST A PLAIN OLD SATURDAY

I am on my death bed.... bad cold, sore throat, cough, ear ache.... you get the picture.  I don't feel like getting off the couch, so I decided it was a good time to blog.  And, it hasn't been all that long since I did Thanksgiving pictures.

I have a very limited BLOG audience, and have attempted to keep it that way.  It isn't supposed to be searchable.  I check "google" at times, and a search of divot diva doesn't turn up my BLOG within the first 4 or 5 pages of references to the term, so I think I'm good.

I mention this because I have Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma (mycosis fungoides).  Most of you that read my BLOG are already aware of that.  Well, it has been a very trying mental ordeal.  Three weeks from the time the biopsy came back with that diagnosis to my first appointment at UTSW Medical Center to see a specialist.  It is a slow growing rare cancer, so it doesn't get much funding for research.  There are only about 30,000 known cases in the US and Canada, per the Lymphoma Society.  UTSW checked my cells to see what type of therapy would best meet my individual needs.  I start my UVB therapy next Monday.  It can spread to the lymph nodes and other organs, but usually doesn't if it can be controlled.  It cannot be cured.  Everything that is a treatment is directed at the skin, never anything like chemo unless it moves to other organs.  I am expected to be fine.

Now, a quickie to my type of cancer is that it is in the t-cell lymphocites (if I am spelling it correctly).  It presents itself through the skin as lesions, plaque and or tumors.  Right now, I am just at the lesion/plaque stage.  This, by the way, has nothing to do with my squamous cell cancer I recently had removed.  It was caused by the sun, and there is no know cause of the lymphoma I have.  Anyway, long story short, my therapy is 3 times a week thru the end of March.  So... I won't be taking any trips for a while.  It does however, make for a hectic time of scheduling anything.  I have to coat my body with Vaseline or mineral oil before every treatment.  Needless to say, I opted for the mineral oil.  And no, I haven't practiced applying it to my entire body.  I did get a large bottle of it though.  No on to more pleasant things.

I have been doing Christmas shopping.  Mainly for myself, but a few for other people.  The grand daughters are getting scuba diving lessons for their big gift.  I also got Morgan a Vivitar camera (still and movies) for her bike.  She wanted a "GO PRO" camera, but at $400, I said no.  She didn't want one either when she saw the cost.  I got the Vivitar on sale at Fry's, and I got a good deal for $60. If she breaks it, I won't be upset.  Maybe I'll even borrow it.  Morgan is 12, so she's pretty easy to buy for.  Chloe will turn 16 in February... she's a problem.  She doesn't do lots of makeup, doesn't drive (she is being forced to get a learners permit), but now has a steady boyfriend, so she's now out and about.  I forwarded her mom a list of activities I was willing to buy for two people.  She can take her boyfriend or a girlfriend.  I found sales on rock climbing, paint ball, segway tours, and hiking trips.  I am just waiting on Angie to figure it out.  Gary?  I got him a new Michael Kors purse, a Keurig 2.0 coffee system (it brews 4 cup as well as single serve), two books (these are actually FOR Gary), and a new rug for my, I mean 'OUR' RV.  It is black and grey.  It will look soooo good.  Yup, money was no object for him.

The purse?  It cost so much, I had to get it for "him".  The one I have now drives me and Sheila insane.  I cannot fit everything I want to carry into it.  My makeup and medicine bag, my camera, my iPhone accessories, checkbook, and wallet.  The MK bag is larger.  It is also a cross-body bag, and they are not popular right now, so it is hard to find one.  I tried to find a cheap one... I could have decent looks and a short strap, or the MK with room and good looks.  I honestly had no choice.

This past Thursday was out FWGA (ladies golf league) Christmas luncheon.  It was not meant for Sheila and I to take pictures.  Gerry is "responsible" for official photos, but I like to do my own personal photos.  Gerry's camera got stuck in a weird zoom mode, and it would not close or take pictures.  I gave her my camera.  I started using Sheila's camera, but her battery died.  Then over comes Gerry and MY camera battery was dead as well.  It just wan't meant to be.  So, no pictures of us gals from my camera.

Out next thing is our Christmas lunch and gift exchange.  We four gals (Gerry, Sheila, Margie and me) draw names then do a gift exchange.  I wrote names on paper, and everyone drew a name.  They didn't know that I had put my name on every paper.  We always ask "did anyone get their own name?".  If someone does, then we redraw.  Sometimes it take several tried to work out.  Tedious process, but we laugh and enjoy doing it.  Well, Margie got supicious when no one got their own name... that has never happened before.  She started checking and they discovered that they all had my name.  Hey..... I would have told them eventually.... anyway, we redrew with everyones name on a piece of paper, and believe it or not, we actually got a food draw.  Everyone got someone elses name.  We have deicded to meet at Brios on Wednesday afternoon to have happy hour and our gift exchange.  We had to hustle to get it done cause Sheila is heading to Canada for some cool weather next week.  I therefore have 4 days to buy something for the person I got.  I will probably get a Christmas themed item.

I am still at a standstill on the house.  I called the glass company yesterday, and they are "hoping" to have all parts in next week.  Crap, between my therapy and social life, I may not have windows and a shower door until sometime next year.  I also need to schedule a decorator to help me select tile for the floors and backsplash in the kitchen.

Angie ordered a new fridge and dishwasher.  Gary has been installing it.  Hey, at least he's doing something somewhere.  If only I could get his to finish the gutters he started cleaning 2 years ago.  OK, that's another post.  Anyway, he put it in, but had to get some new washers.  Yesterday, he told everyone not to use the sink where the garbage disposal was.  He needed parts, but wasn't going to mess with it until today.  Well, no one did.  However, Chloe decided to load the dishwasher and do a load of dishes.  You guessed it.... it drains into the side with the disposal.  What can you say?  I am sure you can imagine the mess.  Gary had a large bucket under it, just in case... but there was still a mess.  Angie is a lot like me.  As soon as she paid money to buy the new kitchen appliances, Eric had a wreck and they totaled his car.  They now need to buy a new car.  Not only that, but a sewer pipe broke under their foundation.  Insurance will pay for almost all of  it, but there is the deductible.  When it rains, it pours.  Family tradition.

That's about it for the day.  Here are some things I got on Facebook or email.  I think they're worth sharing.  Enjoy..

First, a couple of quick videos....

Hey hunters.... You better watch out.....

Baby Mornings

The Elf on the Shelf pictures have already started this holiday season.

 Now here is one that really confuses me.... what is up with his crotch area?????  I am not stupid, but I cannot figure this one out.

That's it for now... Til I blog again.... have a happy....




No comments: