Monday, June 20, 2016

I am in Canada.... EH?

I am currently curled up in a hotel bed in Montreal, Canada.  Sheila is in the bed next to me.  We have had a long day, to say the least.  She had previously made plans to go visit her Mom, Joyce, in Hamilton.  Since I had never been to Canada, she offered to let me tag along.  Yippee.... That was the good news.

The bad news was I was having problems with my tummy.  I started getting bad when I quit taking the PUVB treatments in January.... and just let it go too long.  I was down to the wire on getting it taken care of cause my doctor went on vacation, and the other doctors wouldn't give me steroids.  I had to go two weeks on cholestram, or something like that.  It did NOT do anything for me.

He finally got back and started me on steroids, low dose.  It did nothing for my problems.  One week wasted.  Finally, three days before we were supposed to leave, I had a follow up appointment, and we agreed that one more time I would try high dose steroids, but would go ahead and add methotrexate, a mild chemo drug.  (The UTSW lymphoma doctor did not want me on steroids.)  But like I told the gastro.... if you can't enjoy life at all, what difference would it make to try it.  He finally agreed to do it one more time.

I got my RX for the steroids on Monday, but didn't start the methotrexate till Friday, the day I left.  Thank goodness the steroids did the trick, and I was able to leave without having any trouble.  My first day on the road, I had to take the methotrexate.  It is only taken 3 days a week.

Friday morning at about 6am, we headed out for Hamilton.  We yacked and yacked all day.  We had quite a few congestion problems, but the worst was when it took us 2 1/2 hours to travel 19 miles.  A truck had caught fire at noon, and when we got there at 4pm, it was still burning and the interstate was completely shut down.  We decided we were not overly tired, and we'd make up time and get as far as Terre Haute, Indiana.  On we drive.

We got there and could not find a room anywhere.  They were having the Special Olympics there, along with.... a BMW convention, Farmers Exhibits, you name it, they were having it.  They finally found us a room 60 miles up the road.  We crashed, then got up early the next day, Saturday, and hit the road.

We arrived at the border crossing, and they took our passports, asked how long we were staying, and then gave our passports back and sent us on our way.  I got so mad, they didn't even stamp my passport.  What a bummer.  Here are  few pictures we took.











Sheila made me take quizzes.  What is Windsor famous for?  I didn't know, so she told me.  It is the most southern city in Canada.  Then we hit Bradford.  What is it famous for?  I said home of Alexander Graham Bell, who invented the telephone.  Right, but the "correctest" (I made that word up) answer was Wayne Gretzkie.

We got in to her brother, John's place in Hamilton, around 4ish.  We visited with him and his wife Jo and had a great dinner that she had prepared for us.  We had a great time talking with them.

Sunday, we got up and went and picked up Joyce so she could spend the day with us.  She lives in far east Hamilton, and John lives in far west Hamilton.  Get this..... just like her daughter, she gave me a quiz.  Did I know what an escarpment was?  Yup.... the flat mesa like top of the hill.  Thank goodness I knew the answer.  When we got back to John's house, their youngest Grandson, Jack, was there while his Mom played in a ball game.  He is a cute 3 year old ACTIVE boy.  I had him help me do scratch off lottery tickets.  He really got in to doing that.  His Mom came over later in the afternoon to visit with Sheila after her ballgame.  They all enjoyed family time we

We ordered Chinese food for dinner, then had to call it an early night since they both work.  Sheila, Jo and I eventually managed to go for a walk to get some exercise, and took Joyce home.  Monday. we took Joyce down to get her passport renewed.  That didn't work out because Joyce didn't have the addresses with her for her reference people.

I realized Monday morning while taking my methotrexate Monday that they hadn't given me enough methotrexate to get me to the end of my trip.  While Sheila and Joyce were trying to get the passport, I went to the pharmacy and found out that I had to see a Canadian doctor and get an RX for the needed meds.  Off I go to a walk in clinic.  It cost me $50 to see a doctor, only to have to explain why I was taking everything i was taking, and then he gave me the RX.  I took it to the pharmacy and was able to get 10 extra pills for an additional $22.  I was now good to go.

Sheila and I hung out with Joyce all day.  We went shopping, cause I wanted to buy Jo a small coffee pot to take with her on their vacations to Jamaica.  We found what I was looking for at Walmart.  I also wanted to get her a mug like my RTIC one, but they don't carry them in Canada.  That will have to wait another day.  Sheila cooked us some spicy chicken for dinner, then I washed dishes, then Joyce put them away.   We then played Hand and Foot.  I want you to know that I won.  Yup.... it was the first time in ages that we'd played together, and I won.




We went back to John's house, which is our base location.  Next morning, we tried the passport office again.  As we were driving to get Joyce, Sheila mentioned that we were supposed to dine with Steve and Denise.  Oops... I was wearing flip flop type sandals.  I decided to not mention it to Sheila, and while they were getting the passport, I'd just buy something else.  Luck was with us that day.  I found some sandals and they got their passport.

After that, we headed to the senior center to play Hand and Foot with the seniors.  I had a ball.  Sheila and I play with a lady that has hearing and sight trouble.  Joyce was at a different table.  Well, luck was still with me.  I won!  Yeah.... I do have skills.

As is my nature, I got to having more fun than I should have, so the following posts could very well be out of order.

Sheila and I went to Burlington to visit Steve and Denise, a couple we met years ago while they were visiting the Coles.  One note, Denise is terrified of water, and Gary decided to throw her into the pool.  He seemed to think her screaming was for fun, and it did take some time for everyone to convince him not to throw her in.  It also took some time for her to settle down.  First thing I did was ask her if she was ok with me being there, seeing that my husband has terrified her.  She assured me all was good.  LOL!

We had a great visit with them, and then we went out to eat.  For the life of me, I can't remember where we went, but it was outside dining across from the beach of Lake Ontario.  After that, we visited strolled the beach.  Here are a few pictures.

They were getting read for a "Sound of Music Festival" when we visited.  Alas, we didn't make it to the festival, but they were definitely going all out for things to do while it was going on.




Denise, Sheila, and Steve

Ok, so I ask Sheila to take a picture of me on the pier.  Well duh.... I forgot to tell her not to have an object coming out of my head.  Guess she thought we were still in Europe, where I ALWAYS ended up with something coming out of my head.

Take one

Take two.... notice the thrilling look of excitement on my face?



Here is something the people of the US should think about doing..... putting tire pumps in various places where they know bikers will be riding.  


I am going to close this post.  In all honesty, it is now Monday, the 20th and I am way behind.  Been having too much fun!  Also, no spell or grammar check;.... things to do other than that.

No comments: