My grand parents on my mother's side of the family, were Harry and Ica Sneed. They were just poor farmers. They gave birth to 12 ( I think it was ) children, but only 6 survived. Their first born was named Harry Dewey Sneed Jr, ovbiously named after his father, Following his birth, Evelyn, Bama (my mother), Bliss, William, and David. Bliss died years, followed by my mom in 2007, and David a few years ago.
My step father, Frank Hasselmeier, lived in Cushing, Ok. I see him every few months. I went to visit him wee of Aug 13. Before I left Cushing, as always, I went to visit my remaining living Aunt and Uncles. I always try and take them a snack. That day, it was a four pack of cinnamon rolls from Braum's Ice Cream. I stopped at Willie and Pat's (his lovely wife), who also live in Cushing, then over to Yale to Uncle Dewey's. That is the nick name all the kids used for Harry Jr. Aunt Peaches was in terrible shape. She has been suffering from Alzheimer's for the past 7 or so years. From what he said to me, she had been close to sleeping for almost 24 hours in the same position, as far as arms, body, etc. go. She also looked very VERY pale.
Uncle Dewey has always insisted HE would take care of Peaches until the day one of them died. He has done an amazing job. Having seen my step mother, mother and father all three die while on hospice, it looked to me as if she was near the end of her life here on earth. I spoke with Uncle Dewey, and though in the past he'd always refused the thought of anyone helping him, he actually listened to all the positive things it would do for Peaches. As I left that day, I promised I would call his daughter Marsha and explain it to her and help her get it started. I thing swung over to Stillwater to visit Aunt Evie. On the way back to Frank's, I spoke with Marsha on the phone.
I returned home Saturday. Marsha is Harry's middle daughter (lives in Oklahoma City, there is Harry III, her brother who lives in Yale, and Elaine, the oldest child of Harry Jr and Peaches who lives in Truth or Consequences, NM. They all got together at Yale and got her on hospice, I think it was Tuesday, then by Friday, she had passed. I am so thankful they all got to see their Mom before she passed.
My sister, Janice, is having issues with random bouts of vertigo, and cannot drive. I ended up giving her some of my unused SWA Rapids Reward Points, and she flew up here Monday. I picked her up and we drove to Stillwater for the funeral, which was scheduled for Wednesday.
It was a lovely service. Here is a picture of Uncle Dewey, Aunt Evie, and Uncle Willie, all of their children, the children of David (except Julie), my sister Janice is in here, but my oldest sister was too ill to travel, and the children of Bliss Sneed and his wife Delores. Jeff and Brook Burns traveled from Tulsa (my sister Evelyn's youngest son), as did some of the other grands. Basically, it was a really good turnout, considering the traveling required. There are four generations in this picture. It was so great to visit with all of my cousins.
If you click on the "Peaches" below, it will take you to the tribute video.
Peaches
Please keep Uncle Harry in your prayers.
Sunday, September 2, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
It's sad that death is what brings us all together. Aunt Peaches would have loved the turn out.
Post a Comment