Thursday, November 18, 2010

BUSY WEEK

I haven't blogged for a while, so it's obvious that Dad hasn't fallen, or anything exciting like that. We celebrated Gary's big 64th birthday on Monday. His daughter, Melissa, came and joined our daughter Angie and her family for dinner out. I selected Texas Road House on 190, near Garland Road. We started our meal with an Awsome Blossom and Fried Dill Pickles. The dill pickles were sort of yuck to start with, but the sour salty flavor is really addictive. That is probably the last Blossom I'll ever eat. Just too much grease. Maybe it's the way they prepare it, but you couldn't cut it with a knife, and if you tried to pull a slice off, it separated the batter from the onion. Gross.

After we all ate, they brought over a saddle for the birthday boy to sit on. They gave him a tee-towel and had him pretend it was a rope-lasso to wave around while they sang to him. He was soooooo embarassed. The girls loved it. They think the sun rises and sets in Gary. Anything to do with him is great fun.



The two grandkids made Gary a home made b-day cake. Of course, we sang happy b-day, and Gary, as always, sings the loudest and most off key. Even makes Sheila sound like Celine Dion. (No offense Sheila) The girls got Gary a gift certificate to an indoor surfing place. They bought 4 sessions, so they can go also, and I got 4. That should entertain them long enough for one of them to get hurt. No, Gary never expressed an interest in surfing, but maybe he just never thought of it. Oh, did I mention the girls have always wanted to do it? That should make for some good pictures.

I invited Sue, Sheila, Margie and Gerry over for Mah Jong on Tuesday. Gerry was the only one that couldn't make it. I made tomato soup and warm goat cheese salad. They brought desserts and snacks, and their own drinks. We had a lot of fun. The winner got to claim the Mah Jong Trophy. It was Sue's killer game that won her the trophy. She also won a door prize, a glass topped wine stopper. Hey, money is no object when I have a party.


The napkins set the theme. Smiling Sheila



Sue. Sue and Margie engrossed a move for Mah Jong.

It did poop me out. We played and ate from 12 till around 5pm. It was great fun, but I didn't do anything Wednesday. Just too tired. I just wish I could think of something to do to speed up my rehab process. I am now weened off my crutch, and onto a cane. I don't like it as well, but the PT lady is adamant that I not use the crutch.
Gary T came over Thursday afternoon with 8 bags of goodies for Angie and me. We play Xmas when we open them. She gets a bag, and I get a bag. We each pull out one item, then haggle on whether or not we want to keep it or trade it with each other. Sometimes one of us will have to part with 3 or 4 things to get one particular item. It's great fun for us. What we don't keep, we give to charity. It is always craft items. This haul, we had 4 bags of wooden projects, one tin, some fake flowers, and one unmarked bag. I already opened one small bag, and it contained a lap top tray. I am using it now as I blog. I've been using a tv tray on my lap, but the one I now have is really cool. Wrist rest, two zippered pockets on the underside, and two mouse pads built in. I don't think I mentioned it, but all the items are brand new. It's craft things that his wife has purchased over the year and decided not to keep. The grand kids love them. Gary and Diane used to toss them, but now she sends them to us. It's soooo cool. This time, we did it with the two grandkids. They had a ball. Morgan thinks Diane and Gary are super rich. Hmmmmm

I went to PT this morning and they say I'm improving in range of motion. They also said that for most people, they have pain every day. Then one day, it's just gone. I'm hoping that day comes soon. This is getting old. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it darned sure is constant. I must say, I am getting around more and more. That's good news. Guess I'll close on that note.

No comments: