Friday, December 20, 2013

DOWN TO THE WIRE

WOW!  It is almost Christmas.  Time is flying, but I "think" I've finished shopping.  Yesterday, the Fab Four had our Christmas party.  We were supposed to go to a movie and dinner and swap gifts last week, but I was too ill.  I'm still fighting that nagging cough, but feeling much better.  Margie got it, but she to is starting to feel better.

We met for lunch at The Chocolate Angel.  Get this... it is inside an antique mall.  They have basically a huge variety of sandwiches, salads, a couple of soups, and a variety of desserts.  Sheila drove Gerry and I, and Margie came alone.... she drove from the beauty salon.  Get this, she was only about 10 minutes late.  That's pretty good, for Margie.

Sheila and Margie got a strawberry - chicken salad or something like that, I can't remember what Gerry got was called, but it was a soup, a strawberry gelatin type of salad, and a sandwich.  I tried the "Some like it hot" sandwich.  It was described as a sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, and candied jalapeno grilled sandwich.  It came with a granny smith apple salad with vinaigrette, and and chips. It was good, but it had way too much cheese for me.  The jalapenos weren't that hot, either.  For dessert, they shared a small lemon pie, and I ordered a chocolate tort with whipped cream.  It was good.  Sheila tried only a bite of each.

Then, we opened gifts.  Gerry broke the rules, and got each of us a picture frame with a picture taken of us at the Susan Komen Brookhaven Golf Tournament we were in last October.  It was good of everyone except me.  Just my luck.  (It was bad cause it looked just like me.)  We had previously drawn names.  Margie got Gerry a President Geo. W. Bush Christmas Ornament.  Now, don't freak out.  It is a hot item this Christmas.  See, since he quite being president, he has taken up painting.  Laura really liked the picture he'd painted of a cardinal, so she had it made into an ornament.  It is VERY popular here in Dallas, because of the presidential library here.
Sorry about the quality of the picture.... It doesn't do the ornament justice.

Gerry got Sheila's name.  I don't have a picture of it, but she got an antique car with Santa, a Christmas Tree, and someone else (maybe an elf... I can't remember... maybe a reindeer) in it.  It was really cute..

I got Margie's name.  She and I attempted to exercise some of our excess body weight off at Curves, but we quit.  We didn't like it   I purchased a membership to Snap Fitness, but it's either been too cold or I've been too sick to go.  I have, however, purchased myself a step counter.  I won't go there on my results.... I'll save that for another post.  Anyway, I got Margie a step counter also.  Well, it really does more than that.  I syncs with your iPhone, and tracks calories burned, steps taken, miles walked, and lots of other stuff.  I also told Margie I would pay for the app for the iphone that goes with it.  She "seemed" to like it.  Once we get past next week (Christmas), we hope to start in at exercising again.  We both want to get healthier.  (What a load of crap... we could care less about that.. we want to lose weight, but healthier sounds so much better.)

Sheila drew my name, and I came out better than anyone else.  I got a Food and Wine magazine, a bottle of wine, some coffee grown by slaves or something like that, AND, a years subscription to Food and Wine Magazine.  I was so excited.  Sheila didn't realize that I read the subscription part right away, and was busy with the coffee and magazine, and she kept telling me to read about the magazine.  I guess she didn't realize that I was excited about it all.  Anyway.... here's my stuff.....

Here is our group picture.

Me on the left, Margie sitting, Sheila standing, then Gerry seated.  We all have so much fun together.

Now, Margie got Sheila this cute Christmas card, about how she's thankful for a friend like her, or something along that line.  Here is the card she got me....

Now, is it just me, or was I sort of insulted on my card?  Well, guess it goes hand in hand with the gift I bought her.  What gets me is I know I don't have that hideous sweater in the picture.

We did have a good time.  Sheila is supposed to leave tomorrow for Canada for the ice and Christmas.  Man... it's cold here, but nothing like it is in Canada.  I just don't understand the logic, but who am I to judge.  Speaking of being a judge.... I want everyone to notice Margie's new hair style.  We all loved it.  What do you think?


Ignore the fact that here eyes were closed.  Isn't it a cute cut?

Today, Chloe, Angie and I went to the beauty shop, and I showed her a picture of Margie's hairdo, and told her I wanted a cut like that.  She and Angie both informed me it wouldn't look good on me.  So.... I have the same old hair style I usually get...short and spiked.  I know it's not like that in the group picture above, but I've been too busy to go get it cut.  Maybe this week I'll actually fix it and put on make up and post a picture of it.

Did you all read in the paper about someone hacking into Target and getting something like the card and personal info for like 40 million users?  It started after Thanksgiving and was going on as of yesterday.  May still be going on today.  Do I ever go to Target?  No, cause there's a Walmart across the street from it.  What stupid thing did I do this week?  Yup, went to Target cause I was having trouble finding clothes that Morgan would wear.  I went and my card was used twice.  Once for the purchase, and once for the returns.  So, hubby Gary reads it in the paper, and looks at our account.  He comes and gets me, cause he thinks we've been hacked.  WTF?  I run in an we go thru the purchases...... yesterday, there is a charge for almost $80 to George W Bush Library.  I explain that after seeing the ornament Margie got Gerry, that I had to have one for me, and Angie.  (Another long story, but every year since Gary and I have been married, I've purchased us an ornament that is dated.  Once Angie was born, I did the same for her.  It is a tradition that my grand kids now follow.  We shop each year for an ornament that is dated, and means something special to us.)  I didn't want to drive to the President Geo. W. Bush Library, so I went on their web site and ordered them.

Well, Gary doesn't normally bitch (not too much) about how I spend our money, but he was livid on this purchase.  He is NOT a Geo. W. Bush fan.  He said he's the third worst president we've ever had, and why would I want his stupid face on my Christmas tree.  Well, I did want to know who he thought was stupider.... he informed me the worst was Obama, then it was Bill Clinton, then Geo. W.  Hmmmm..... I never knew he dislike him that much.  Not that I give a crap.... but I was surprised.  I sometimes think Gary is senile, but the fact that he doesn't like Obama makes me believe he's not as bad as I thought.

Oh well, we will now do a daily scan of all purchases on my favorite credit card.  See, I never pay cash or write a check unless I just HAVE to.  I charge it all on my Southwest Airlines credit card.  That way, I get free air flights.  I haven't used the points for a flight since I quit going to Vegas, so I've racked up quite a few.  I have like 150,000.  Angie has started looking at trips we can take on my air miles.  Wow, that ought to be fun.

The only other interesting thing that's happened lately, is Stella lost a front tooth.  I don't know when or how.... but she and Angie play this terrible fight game.  They both love it.  Angie tries to tough her tail, and she tries to bite Angie, or anyone else that is in the vicinity of them playing.  I have been bit a couple of times, but it's really more of a nip.  I also, may have been grabbing her tail when I was bit.  Angie got the camera to snap a picture of her doing her biting thing, and she got one of her mouth.  You can see where it's missing from.  I guess I'll take her to the vet before too long and see if she needs a crown or something.  Poor baby....
Her eyes are not blue, but the picture really captures her spirit.

That's it for now.  I finished wrapping presents today, well all the ones that Groupon and UPS have delivered so far.  I have a few more that haven't arrived yet.  I bought more on line that I did at the stores.  Oh yeah, Angie and Chloe and I went to Frys today and got Chloe her Christmas gift.  A new computer.  All $960 of it.  GASP!  It is a Sony, and has everything she wanted.... especially the DVD/CD reader writer built in.  It makes it heavier, but she insisted.  It is a laptop, but not the huge screen.  I forgot what size it is, and it's already wrapped, so what else it has is forgotten.

I'll close and hopefully, come up with something exciting to blog about.  Ah.... the life of a senior citizen.... just a little on the boring side.

No comments: