Friday, December 13, 2013

Welcome Back

This has not been my month.  Not only that, but today is Friday the 13th.  Why try, right?  Oh well.  Actually, things seem to be going well today, in spite of that fact.  Sheila, Mark, Carlos and I were supposed to play in a golf tournament last weekend, but the weather made us cancel.  We have had a really bad ice storm.  EVERYTHING pretty much shut down. 

Of course, I would pick that time to get really sick.  I got a cold last Monday, and that was one reason I wasn't too excited about playing in a golf tournament in cold weather.  You now what?  Even without the cold being bad, I didn't want to play in cold weather.  I even canceled out on the Fab Four Xmas Gift Party last Tuesday, cause I was feeling so bad.  Then the ice storm came, and I got worse.  On Saturday, I couldn't stand it anymore.  I was having trouble coughing (dry cough) and it was wearing me out.  I was exhausted, and was so bad, I didn't feel like eating.  No, I seriously was that bad.

Of course, the roads were solid ice.  Morgan had been here for a couple of days (just had too much fun not going to school or going home), so she and Gary took me to one of those urgent care places.  It was a 2 hour wait.  WTF?  However, they offered me the option of signing in and then going back home and they'd call when I could get into a room.  Well, whatever.  I started filling out the forms, and realized they do NOT take Medicare Insurance.  DAMN.  Off I go to a different place.  The roads were so bad, I called before we drove there.  Nope, they also didn't take Medicare, but they gave me the name of a place that did take it.  It's only like 15 miles away (versus 2 miles for the other two places I tried).  I called, and verified they took Medicare.  Yup... Gary is driving over there while I talk to them.  They too have a reservation system.  OK.  How long is the wait?  They didn't know for sure because it is an answering service that just makes appointments.  OK, I ask them to call and see what the estimated time is.  I am on hold or a few minutes, Gary is still driving in that direction (3 miles an hour on the ice) and they tell me it will be 24 to 48 hours.  WTF again?  Why so long I ask.  The answer?  Because they are closed until the roads clear up.  OK, just forget it. 

With that, we turn around and Gary goes to Wendy's so Morgan can have her favorite food.... chicken nuggets, fries and a coke with caffeine.  I went ahead an got some chili.  I decided to go home and put lots of salsa in it to maybe loosen up my head.  The entire trip took about 2 hours, though we never got further than 5 miles from the house.  There were lots of trees in the streets.  It was not snow... it was sleet that froze.... which is hard on trees.  Neighbors on both side of us lost huge limbs on their trees.

Got home, and the chili did open up my sinuses.... lots of hot sauce in it.  I actually started feeling a little better, but called the doctor on Monday.  Her office was closed.  I got thru Tuesday and made an appointment for Wednesday.  I have a cold.  Crap.  She did give me an RX.  I got an inhaler to help clear the bronchial tubes, and a nasal spray.  Both worked wonders.  That, and I'm taking guaffisin (spelling?)  to dry me ears and sinus.  I decided today that I will live.  I also finished my round of steroids.  I still have a terrible cough though.  Part of the problem is that I take Humira, which lowers the bodies ability to fight infections.  Oh well. 




Angie came over this weekend and unboxed all the Xmas boxes from my Mom's house.  She pulled out all the stuff she wanted, then left.  What a mess.  She did come back yesterday and pretty much finished it all off.  I had to finish up the tree, but it was 90% done.  I'm showing a "before" and "after" photo of what it looked like before Angie unloaded Mom's boxes, and after when she left. 



 
Yes, it was difficult to walk around.  That was only the living room.  Same mess in the dining room and family room.   She had a ball going thru all that stuff.  One of the "surprise winners" was a Native American Nativity Scene.  I'm glad she liked it, cause I didn't.  But, that's just me. 
 
 I couldn't put all the stuff out, neither could she, but she got a nut crackers for Morgan, and also a village.  Not sure what they're called, but it's a miniature village.... has a church, houses, blacksmith shop, saloon, outdoor skating rink, etc.  They light up, and take up a ton of space.  I have one in the garage or attic, so I didn't need another. 

 
Here is where I stopped.  I was too tired to mess with any more messes.  I may not take them down this year.  It would be so much easier to just leave them up.


I must admit, I've taken better photos.  Oh well.  At least you can see the floors once again.
 
Gary went to Morgan's Christmas program that was held at Willow Bend Mall.  I didn't want to get out and be around anyone that might have a cold.  It's misty here as it is.  The program was about 30 minutes long, and started at 11am.  Here it is 4:15 and Gary still hasn't come home.  He did call earlier.  He is out shopping.  Guess the program put him in the Christmas mood.  I hope he gets lots of stuff, cause I do not even want to go out.  I bought one gift (via groupon) for the golf Xmas party, and one for the name I drew in the Fab Four, but that's been it.  Maybe I'll get motivated soon. 
 
That's it.  I honestly hope that I do some fun blogging soon.  Bye for now.
 













No comments: