Sunday, January 15, 2017

I am SEW tired

My day started out really early.  Well I think 4:30 am is early.  On Wednesday, Chloe asked me to monogram a baby blanket for her.  I stupidly said sure.  I should have said "What was I thinking?", but my head was obviously up my.... well I wasn't thinking.  I think the last time I used the sewing machine was before Dad passed.  Oh well, it is a computerized machine... well the software part is.

Chloe was supposed to bring the blanket over Thursday, but she never showed up.  Friday evening, she brought it over and asked if she could help me set up the machine.  I told her it was too late to start, I'd do it first thing in the morning.  Well, that morning was today.  At least I got out of bed and read the paper.  I mean, I know I said first thing, but reading the newspaper and doing scrabble is part of my routine for waking up.  I had to eat breakfast, but I was proud of myself for getting a 7 am start, cause she has to have it by 1:30 for the baby shower.

If you have ever monogrammed, you know that you can't just do it.  You have to do a practice run to see how much space it will take up.  Clarissa Dean is a long name, and that is without the last name.  Thank goodness I started early.  I couldn't find the instruction book for my machine.  Went on the internet, and finally found a downloadable owners manual.  I ran through the book.  Started to change the bobbin thread, and it was full of dust balls.  OK.... here is what I did before I started sewing..... got out the vac and cleaned out the dust bunnies.  Because of water leak, I had to go get my chair and several tubs of sewing supplies out of the guest room, read the manual, search tubs for size 10 needle (gave up after going through 4 tubs), located the Sulky backing, had no idea what color of thread.  The baby room is lavender... I had dark purple and also had hot pink.  Texted Chloe to get her choice, she wanted black.

I want you to know that the "blanket" ended up being about 1.5 foot square, it is like a teething blanket thingy toy.  It is an owl head.  It really looks like Casper the Friendly Ghost.  Anyway, it is fleece on the top, and shiny satin on the bottom side.  I had to take it apart so the monogram wouldn't show on the under part.  The fleece was fine, but the satin part was already unraveling on the cut edges.  Long story short, I finally finished the stupid project at about 1:15.  Chloe was here when I was pressing it.  It came out okay, but the name was a little off center.  Chloe liked it and thought it looked great, but I was disappointed.  Honestly, the thing won't last long...even if I had never touched it.  If a child plays with it, it will have to be washed.  That sateen stuff will be unraveled by the 2nd wash.

I did ask Chloe how she got the idea for that, and she told me the new way to do your gift registry.  You go on to Amazon, create an event named list, and just start adding things you want.  It is the new way to register, and they can have it wrapped and shipped to the event for almost nothing.  Really makes it easy.  She said she researched it on line, and got a cheaper deal someplace else, almost 1/2 price from a different vendor.  Oh well, at least I finished the damned thing.

Great news.... I started a diet last Monday.  Janice, my sister in Houston, wanted to do this diet, and wanted me to do it also.  You know... misery loves company.  She also thought we could do a support type of thing.  Well, I have been detoxing since Monday.  For you non-knowing people, I just learned it means you starve yourself of good food, and drink lemon water with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar twice a day minimum, and almost every meal has it in some for.  I am so sick of eating kale.... anyway. you also drink a gallon of water every day and have green tea at least twice a day.  We were only allowed to eat 3 times a day the first three days, now we're supposed to eat 6 times a day.  We both are having trouble eating that many times.  Seems like all I do is shop (lots of fresh veggies that don't store for very long) , eat and cook.  I an also tired, so is Janice.  We were supposed to feel "refreshed and invigorated" after the first 3 days.

Today is the first day I actually get to eat meat in the evening.  Gary and I both are excited cause he has been fending for himself.  I got to have turkey bacon for the last two days, but once was for breakfast and once was lunch.  No bread, no sugar... if it tastes good, I cannot have it.  Veggie smoothies made with milk replacements (almond or soy milk, kefir, greek yogurt, etc.) seeds (chia, hemp, flax, etc)  herbs (cilantro, basil, rosemary, etc) kale or spinach, and powdered stuff (clean protein, maca, so on:).  I have started using kefir for all my shakes.  It is a natural probiotic, and I am hoping that is the reason my tummy issues are the best in years.  Also, there is no gluten.

At the rate I'm going, if I stay on this, it will be another 3 weeks before I finish.  They added salmon, rice and steamed vegetables.  I am actually looking forward to a real meal.  I weighed this morning, and I have lost 7 pounds.  It is probably a lot water, but man, I have not eaten anything worth eating.  Gary gagged on a couple of items, but he did like turkey bacon.  The first time he ever tried it.  He did say he would probably stay with his thick cut bacon with all it's salt.

Nothing else exciting.  Tomorrow we are watching the Cowboys play the Packers  at Margies.  I called her and said either she or I needed to host it, cause I wanted Sheila to do Super Bowl and it wasn't fair to have her do both.  She agreed.  I mentioned to Sheila that Margie was going to have it, and Sheila said she had been planning on it.  When I mentioned I wanted to make sure she did Super Bowl, she decided it was a good idea.  I sent the invite out, and I am bringing a reward for best Cowboy Fan Costume.  That should be interesting.  I just hope I remember to take my camera.


No comments: