Here are a few pictures from our trip.
This is the Arkansas River that runs along highway 50 that goes through Canon City. Gary and I hiked and biked along the "river walk / bike" trail almost daily.
A danger beware of bears sign. Well, THAT made my trip fun. I did ride from there to the end but never could make the ride back to the top of the same spot. I missed it by about 100 yards. Very steep on the way back. I was so pooped, Gary had to walk both of our bikes to the top while I sat on a bench catching my breath. My last trip up, when I sat on the bench, I was immediately stung twice by bees. I then ran screaming to the top. Well, maybe not running, but I was sure quick stepping.
A couple of times we ate breakfast/brunch at the Coyote Den. It was a place we found years ago when Angie and the girls were traveling with me. Gary liked it as much as I did, and was definitely the best breakfast/brunch place we found, and we tried several. Unfortunately, they no longer carry hot buttered rum muffins.... but maybe my waistline was saved.
They have a small vineyard in the back, and maybe 4 tables inside, but the patio is where almost everyone eats. It is either covered with a roof, or if you prefer to sit in the shade, they have a ton of trees to keep you cool. It is actually not in Canon City, it is in Penrose, about 15 miles east of Canon City.
All we did while we were there was walk, ride, gamble and eat. Not a bad vacation. We went to Cuchara one day and hiked the handicapped trail. It is a gentle climb, but when you start at 11,000 foot of elevation, it doesn't take long to begin gasping for air. I was just glad I made it. Last year when I went with Janice, I couldn't even get out of the parking lot. I was so proud of myself, and so was Gary. I actually took the BIG camera. Got some good shots from the top.
Here I am taking a breather. I realized I did't have any pictures of Gary on the hike. Go figger!
Gary did some hiking while I stayed in the parking lot a couple of times. The heat determined how much I did. He found this one that had tunnels.
We did go gambling at Cripple Creek. I was $270 ahead when Gary wanted to change casinos. Long story short... he lost all his money, and I ended up $170 ahead. A big win for me... bragging rights.
Let me finish by saying that I scared the crap out of Gary.... if you get nauseated watching this... just quit. This is the end.

No comments:
Post a Comment