Thursday, April 11, 2013

TIME IS FLYING

I have no idea what I do with my time, but I don't get a lot done.  Seems like only yesterday that Sheila was here, and now she's half way around the world.  WAIT.... it was only yesterday that she was here.  They left yesterday.  I don't remember what time their flight was, but it was late afternoon or early evening when they left.  It rained, and got pretty nasty later in the evening.  I know they're having fun today.

Today I had lunch with a friend, Betty Cormany.  Betty is somewhere near 80.  She recently had a pacemaker installed, and has been feeling poorly ever since.  I treated her to lunch at Friday's.  We had a lovely visit.  She is such a positive person, and a real sweet heart.  After that, I had a golf lesson with Kevin Bleiler at Firewheel.  OK, I have been standing to far away from the ball.  oh well.

Sheila, Margie and I played golf together at Ridgeview Ranch, in Plano, on Tuesday.  Sheila is the only person I know that would take the day before an almost 3 week vacation out of the country and play golf.  I did ask her if she had finished packing, and she said no.  She'd make the final packing on Wednesday.  She was tired of trying to figure out what to take.

The day was nice enough, a little overcast, but there was the terrible wind.  I had a coupon, so instead of the normal rate of $50, we played for $30 each.  This particular golf course "used" to be a really nice course.  They didn't have bathrooms on the course, but at least the portable toilets were clean.  Well, according to the stickers on the walls, they hadn't been cleaned since 2012.  They weren't the worst in the world, well, I'll change that.  At least they had toilet tissue.  The golf carts were filthy.  I mentioned this to the marshall, and he said they're only rentals.  I did tell him even if they were a rental, they could be cleaned.  The one I was using ran out of juice, and they had to swap out my cart.

With the money they saved on restrooms, they did build a beautiful club house.  Unfortunately, they have let their sand traps become tawdry, and the fairways have no grass in lots of spots.  The greens were beautiful, but extremely slow, so we all had a little trouble putting.


As you can see in the picture below.... the only thing green was the tee boxes and the greens. 

 
 
It turned out to be a good day for me, golf wise.  I beat Sheila and Margie both on the front with my 43.  Didn't do so well on the back nine, I shot a 45, for a total of 88, which is fantastic for me.  I ended up only beating Margie, but I did tie with Sheila.  OK, she still hasn't been playing enough to get her old game back, but still.... it's the first time I have played that well in years!
 
I have had the crud since just before Easter.  My right ear is still painful, and the left one itches all the time.  I am attempting to put off going to the doctor until the weather settles down.  It is either raining, freezing (got down to 43 again last night) cold, or windy.  The pollen dust covers everything on the deck in one day.  I have decided to quit washing it off.... it does not good. 
 
I picked up the RV Tuesday night, and took it in for an oil change.  I didn't take it to the RV place, where they charge $150 an hour to work on it.  I took it to a Ford dealer in Garland.  It only cost me $50.  That is so neat..... saved me a few bucks.  Now, I'll attempt to take that money I saved and buy a ladder for me to carry in the RV.  My neighbor is from Iran.  He and his wife (Gay and Medhi) have gone to Iran for a while, about a month.  They have purchased an apartment over there.  I think it is the same thing as a "condo" is here.  Anyway, I took advantage of the fact that Gary feeds their cat and tends to outside things while they're away.  I asked her to get a permit to have an RV in her driveway.  It's a city ordinance that a home owner can only park an RV in the front of their house 8 times a year.  4 can be for 4 days at a time, and the other 4 can be for 7 days at a time.  So, I got the RV and put it in her driveway.  Tomorrow, Gary and I are going to work on the towel bar and electronic switch box controller for all the audio and video equipment.  When I went to Costco on Tuesday, I saw a ladder that when stored (not fully extended) is only 4'7" tall, and only 25 inches wide.  It is so cool.  The manufacturer sells it for $299, but Costco has it for $179.  I showed it to Gary, and he liked the idea, IF (note that's a big if) I can store it in the under storage.  We're going to go by Costco when I return the RV to storage, and it if will fit, we'll buy it for the RV. 
 

 
I think the only reason Gary thought it was a good idea, is because it is basically a "tool".  You can never have too many tools.  This one is really versatile..... you can separate the two sides, and convert them into two small a type ladders that act as a scaffold support.  Or, make them a device that works on two different levels, like on stairs, or extend them into a 15 foot extension ladder.  Really cool.  If you're looking for a great ladder, this one is it.  Here's a url in case you want to purchase one also.
 
 
 
Just look at all the different configuration you can have.  I am being nice, and I will not show you all the attachments you can purchase to make it do even more things.

 





 
I know you're find this easy to believe.... Gary has two string trimmers.  I "think" he only has two... I know for sure I saw two.  Well, he was saying they weren't working.  He went on a one day trip with his brother Loyd to Trickum Texas (sp??) to visit their Mom's grave.  (The entire cemetery families do it before Memorial Day so they can go other places on Memorial Day).  He was gone most of the day, and it was rainy out.  I had taken Stella for a quick walk and I found two gasoline trimmers laying beside the house, next to the equipment he'd used weeks ago to clean the gutters.  I put them in the storage shed.  Yup... I am sooooo nice.  Well, today I came home and he as a new gasoline powered trimmer in the garage, still in the box.  I don't know if he thinks the other two got stolen or what.  I still haven't told him.  I think it would be better if I just keep my mouth quiet and then when he's gone on a trash day, I'll just throw the other two out.   It's what I'd call me doing my part to clean the garage.
 
I didn't discuss Easter, all I did was lay on the couch and cough.  The crud....  Angie cooked and brought everything over for our dinner.  The girls and the grand dogs had their annual Easter Egg hunt in the house.  I usually hide plastic eggs in the house before they come over, and each egg has a fill in the blank poem.  They have to figure out the word (maybe it is dryer) and then they go look in that spot for the hidden egg.  It contains another poem that they have to solve.  After finding about 10 eggs, they get the prize.  Well, I was too  ill to do it this year.  They tried to make their own.  They admitted it was too much work, and not as much fun.  The only thing exciting was the Easter Coyote made an appearance in the back yard.  He was big, and beautiful.  Needless to say, the dogs didn't get to go in the back yard all day. 
 
I want to close by acknowledging the passing of one of my childhood idols.  She was from the old days when you became famous for your talent as an actress, and she felt it was her responsibility to act like a lady.  No drug busts, stealing, etc..  Even in her battle with MS, she was a positive role model everyone admired.  As her children said, "She is no longer suffering, and in a better place. "
 

No comments: