I was supposed to take an appetizer. Well, I didn't honestly feel like making anything, and after blogging, I didn't really have time to go to the store....so I improvised. I took the left over cheese/pepper jelly appetizer that Margie made for my party. I also took Sheila's cookie bars. Now, I only took those because I cannot resist them, and I have GOT to stop eating everything in sight. That was difficult for me to do, but I did it. Gary had pretty much demolished the Almond Joy Cake that was left over, so the only other thing I could take was..... nothing. Off I go.... empty handed.
For most people, that would spell doom.... but not if Gerry is hosting it. Sheila brought a Caesar Salad, and Margie made cheese grits and gumbo. Both of those, by the way, were fantastic. Now Gerry? Sitting down? Here is what SHE provided....
Frozen Mojitos
Honey Jim Bean Liquor
Beer - large assortment
Wine
prosciutto wraps
Italian salami wraps
Almond Joy Cake
Tarts made with chicken, candied bacon, Gorgonzola cheese, dried apricots and now I can't remember what else. They were so unique and delicious. OMG!
Cheese and Crackers
Pub Munchie things (garlic rounds, pretzels, nuts, etc)
I know there had to be more, but I cannot remember what else she had. One thing about it, Gerry will NOT let anyone leave hungry. We got down to serious Hand and Foot. Margie pretended she didn't remember how to play, so she and I played the first hand together as a "practice" hand. Then we started the "official" game. Margie, of course, played by herself, and suddenly, she remembered everything from the first hand, and last years game. She won high points for the first round. Here are some pictures...
That's when we broke for lunch. There were 4 little piggies, and 1 big piggie (that'd be me) eating away. We then moved on the the second hand. By the way, there are four hands/rounds in one game. Margie won the second hand also. Then, she declared she had to leave. Revenge was not in the card forecast for the day.... I think she planned it that way.
Anyway, she left, and the four of us started the third and final round. I had one hand with nothing but jacks and 2's. so I tried to open with a black meld. Joyce would not let me do it. Sort of ticked me off, cause even though you have to have 150 points, my 5 jacks counted as 50 points, and two 2s counted as 40, that was only 90, but when put together, they form a black meld that is worth 390. Naturally, Sheila sided with her Mom, and they refused to let me play it. Damn... I like to never have opened. However, it worked out ok for me, cause I actually won the entire game. Take that, you Day-girls! I just wish we'd been playing for money. Joyce did say she'd get with the professional/final authority on rules (the senior center where she plays) and see if it was allowed or not. By the way, it is allowed on the internet rules. ANYWAY.... I won in spite of it. However, Karma kicked in when I got home.
I pulled in the driveway and Gary came out before I could get out of the car and asked me to drive around the block for 20 minutes. What? I immediately decided the grand kids were here and had done lots of cooking and the kitchen and house was a wreck. I said no..... are the girls here? No, he said, but he wanted to surprise me, and I needed to be gone for about 20 more minutes. Nope, just tell me what the girls have done. As I was walking up the drive, I smelled the funniest of odors. Sort of smelled like burning plastic. As I walked into the the entry way..... my eyes started watering, and I immediately started hacking and coughing..... the stench.... the burn on my eyeballs from the smoke.....
Gary is forever putting tea on the stove, and forgetting it... then he goes off and watches TV in his man cave. If he does it while I'm here, I can usually smell it when it starts boiling, and I find him. I keep thinking that he'll learn that he needs to set an alarm. Well, I wasn't here today. He actually started a batch of sugar water hummingbird food on the stove, then he went to the man cave to watch TV and fell asleep. Long ago, I took the battery out of the smoke detector that is right above the stove area, because it was always going off when there was not a real problem. (Frying bacon, making toast, anything like that.) Well, I don't know what finally woke Gary up today, but it was a mess! I went in the garage and got a box fan, Gary had the front door open, as well as all the back doors, but it wasn't moving enough air quickly enough.
After I'd been home quite a while, I remembered to take a picture.
That is not glare in the pictures... it is smoke. About 45 minutes ago, we went for a bike ride. We rode 17 minutes, and managed to travel 3 miles. That's my "default" route.... just a quickie. Hey, we both needed the fresh air. We got home, and it isn't smokey any more, but it is still stinking like crazy. I am getting ready to start some crock pots with incense or something. It is awful. Gary decided to take the dog for a walk.
I tell you, it's amazing how we seniors can make the easiest things so darned difficult. Guess I'll log off, and find some cinnamon water to boil. Crap.... garlic would be quicker... who knows, I'll improvise. Later.... and it WAS a great day.

No comments:
Post a Comment