Thursday, January 23, 2014

Nice Warm 31 Degree Dallas

We got up yesterday at the condo, and immediately looked at the weather channel after I blogged.  They were predicting icy-sleet type driving conditions in the San Antonio area.  Well, so much for going to San Antonio on the way home.  Sheila couldn't make Joyce and I decide what to do (two brilliant minds knowing better than to make a decision... just in case it snowed), so Sheila decided our route home.

We loaded the car and we were off.  She had declared that we're going to take the ferry off the island. As we're driving to the ferry, we drive past the seafood shop where we attempted to return the shrimp/crab boil pot we were loaned.  (we left it on the front entry way), and noticed they were still not open, and there were no longer any pots sitting out.  We decided it was their problem, we'd done all we could.

We get loaded on the ferry.... we're good to go.  But wait.... I feel like I'm being watched...
The  guy has a Go Pro Video camera on top of his head.  It must be Mike Moran, my brother in law.  He starts towards me, says nothing as he passes me.... then I realize....


his legs are too skinny to be Mike's.  We're all good to go.

We saw plenty of pelicans on our short trip "to the other side".  I set Siri (that's what I call my google+ maps app lady's voice) for Refugio and we were off.  We had driven a short distance when we noticed that we were traveling Texas Tropical Scenic Highway.  HUH?  Here's what we saw to the right....
Not what the three of us thought was tropical scenery.

To the left, there was a farm.  It had a grassy fenced area that was full of white egret looking birds, and a few pink flamingo looking birds.  We weren't close enough to figure out what they were for sure.  If they weren't flamingos, they could have been billed roseats.   I couldn't drive and get the camera to my side of the car.  Sheila was busy saying... "look at the herd of birds".  I explained to her that a group of birds is called a flock.  I decided we'd call them a flocking herd.  We laughed... and continued on our drive.

What did we notice next on our trip down the Tropical Scenic Highway?  Yup..... some cattle.  Of course, it couldn't be just regular cattle... the bull was going to town doing one of the female (not sure what they're called) cows.  Sheila is frantically trying to get the digital camera, but couldn't reach it.  I pulled over so she could capture the moment, and it made the bull mad.  They just stopped and stared at us while Sheila was retrieving the camera.
Yup, they quit.  We couldn't get a picture of them, but I decided they were to be called a herd flocking.  Gosh, I think I'm sooo funny.

We then head to Shiner Texas to visit the brewery.  We passed a fort, made a u-turn and stopped.
We then visited La Bahia Cemetery and the Fort of the Lady of the Loreto of the Bay.  One of the most historic forts in Texas.  We did find a few photo ops....







 The oldest headstone said 1877, but we think it is a replacement for the real one.  It was in better shape than lots of the later dated head stones.  Either way, both places were very interesting.

We then decide to go to the home of the Spoetzl Brewing Company.  Sound familiar?  Well, it didn't to me either, but the name Shiner means something to us all. Yup, Shiner Beer is brewed by the Spoetzl Brewing Company.  Off we go.  We finally get there, and we noticed a group of people going up some stirs.  We decide we need to go potty first.  We take care of business, then go up the stairs, and the note on the door says no admittance without a tour leader.  Crap... back downstairs to the gift shop.  We ask about tours, and they have 2 a day.  One at like 11:30 and one at like 1:30.  Oh well, they did offer us free beer.  I passed but Sheila and Joyce tried several of the 6 beers.  I bought a Shiner Beer Cookbook, and Sheila bought a poster.  We hung around there for a short time.  Here are a few pictures.





While Joyce and Sheila were finishing up their free beers, I was talking with the hostess and some guy that had come in.  They convinced me to try the white lager Shiner, because it had coriander and orange in it.  I tried it, and it was really good.  Then they had me try the "original", which I also liked.  I have decided I need to host a Shiner Beer tasting party.  Sheila spoke with some lady, and she gave Sheila a recipe for a brownie and an ice cream which both use Shiner black lager.  Hmmmmm.... sounds like something to try.

We left, and set Siri to lead us to the toll road to by-pass Austin.  I set it up, and Sheila took over driving.  She was following directions given by Siri, but she kept passing signs that said we needed to go a different route to get to the toll road.  She decided Siri was wrong and turns to where the signs were directing us.  I convinced her to stop and look at the map Siri was using (my lingo for the google+ map on my iphone).  She grumbled about it, but said she'd go along with Siri.  I know she was just not wanting to make me mad, cause she was afraid I'd kick her and Joyce out of the car if she didn't do it my way.  Honestly, that thought didn't enter my mind.  I was only going to kick out Sheila.  Anyway, we go with Siri's suggestion and we were right where we wanted to be within 2 blocks of where she was turning off to go in the other direction, but we didn't go several miles out of the way to get there.  We were headed for Georgetown.

We got to our destination and voted to eat at Cracker Barrel so we could try and shop one more time.  Joyce got fish, Sheila pot roast, and I ordered meat loaf.  It came out and the meat was pink.  I sent it back saying I wanted my meatloaf microwaved to get rid of the pink ground meat.  It came out still pink.  The waitress asked if I still wanted it.  I told her "it's fine, I guess".  She offered to let me have something else.  I decided to go with the roast, like Sheila.  It was soooo good.  We all tried the salads, yummy...fried okra, yummy.... and the potato casserole, yummy.... the white hot rolls, yummy.... the cornbread... SALTY!  YUCK.  No big deal.  We were all stuffed anyway.  We hit the potties, then the road.  I took over driving.  Next stop.... Sheila's.

We arrived with no trouble.  We unloaded the car, then I came home and unloaded just a few of my things, leaving the rest for today.  Gary was sort of excited to see me, but Stella was REALLY excited.  She never left my side.  I went to be early and slept like a log.  Got up this morning, and Stella has still not let me out of her sight.  We are attached at the hip.... she lays at my feet while I'm in the bathroom, in the shower, in a chair, etc.  The only time she left, was when Gary took her for a walk.

I'm going to close now.  It is soooo cold here today... 31 right now, at 5:25 pm.  I made a pot of beef stew.  Gary is asking how long til dinner, so I guess I better get this wrapped up.

I want to say, we three gals have a great time together.  I am so glad I have two great friends that can put up with me for that many days.  Later......

No comments: