Friday, June 29, 2012

Hotter Than Hell in Texas

It has finally gotten hotter than hell here in Dallas.  It got up in the 100 digit range a day ago, but today it was only 97 here at my house.  That's PLENTY hot.  I played golf Thursday at Firewheel...... it was soo hot..... maybe that's why "Fire" is in the name.  One thing about it, my game wasn't hot.  Well, honestly, I played rather well.  My handicap is finally where it should be, about 18.5.  We played a scramble where they assign each foursome an A, B, C and D player.  I was finally a B player, which is based on handicap.  Just when I think I may be able to compete, our A player canceled because of the heat, and I auytomatically became an A player.  That really sucked.  I played really well, and we came in with a 71, which is one under.  However, all the real A players came in under 68.  It took a scorecard playoff to decide.... wait, see for yourself.

It was particularly fun for Julie Reid! She had a hole-in-one on Masters #5 and longest drive for A&B flights on Masters #8.
1st Place team with 63: Yager / Smith / Stark / Thompson-Hes
2nd Place team with 63: Fox / Novak / Donnelly / Moody
3rd Place team with 65: Walters / Jasien / Dunn / MacDonald
4th Place team with 65: Reid / Harrison / Bryan / Smith (yes, the same Julie Reid)
Closest to the Pin A&B - Bea Smith
Closest to the Pin C&D - Linda Kelly
Longest Drive A&B - Julie Reid
Longest Drive C&D - Jennifer Bryan (Frisco Lakes and on Julie's team)
Julie Reid has a 12.1 hdcp and Paula Yager has a 9.2, Pat Walters has a 15.1, and I can't look up "Fox" cause I don't know her.  This just shows that it's not handicapped, and gives me a good reason to whine. I also was the first team to start on hole #8, the longest drive hole.  I made a really long drive.... then Julie Reid was one of the last players to play that hole.  My drive held up til she out drove me.  Dang her!

OK, I'll quit for now.  Honestly, I was showing that my team did really well, considering our handicap.  As a matter of fact, Linda Kelly, who won closest to the Pin was on my team.  The hole was 75 yards from the tee box.  Unfortunately, that was also her longest "drive" of the day.  Only a golfer would understand that statement.  However, she could putt very well. 

While I was playing golf, Chloe and her friend Kelly, went over to Sheila's house to swim.  That should let you know how bored and lonesome Sheila is now that her Mom has gone home, and she's not 100% health wise.  Gary took the girls over around 11:30, much to Mark's surprise (Sheila forgot to to tell him, and I never confirmed the exact time because of  hectic schedules between Angie and me), and they swam while Sheila sat under the arbor misting herself to keep cool.  I went over around 1:45 after I finished golf.  Gary made a Whataburger run for everyone except Mark.  Mark did manage to eat a few fries while he was on a smoke break. 

I want you to know.... it takes a real friend to allow a couple of teenagers to hang out at their pool when they don't have kids of their own.  Then again, maybe it's because of that they can be polite.  If the kids act up and they belong to someone else, Sheila and Mark can always keep from killing the kids by reminding themselves that the kids will eventually go away.  What makes it even nicer of Sheila, she couldn't even join them in the pool.  In addition to those show-stoppers for most people, she had to talk to Gary!  OMG!  Sheila must have the patience of a saint.

Anyway, the girls loved it.  Chloe is fond of both Mark and Sheila.  I honestly think she tries to be on good behavior when she's over there, but I can't say how she is when I'm gone.  Gary spoils the g-kids so bad, he
doesn't even know if they're acting poorly.  Sheila did say Chloe remembered to thank her for letting her swim.

Steve and Denise, friends of Sheila and Mark from Canada, are coming in this weekend.  I did call Sheila today and asked if she needed me to help her with anything to get ready.  I figured she'd need to go to the store, etc..  She was cleaning up the pool area when I called, and said Mark was going to go to the store tonight.  I should have known she wouldn't let me help her, but I did try.  Her company are the type of friends that would go to the store themselves if needed, and think nothing of it.  One thing about it, Sheila does have some really cool friends and family.

That's the excitement for here.  I am doing PT Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  I haven't been blogging about the details, cause really!  How exciting is it to do situps and leg lifts, etc..  I am also not doing any other exercise for the time being, well except for the exercises they gave me to do daily.  It's just too hot, and I do want to get my back and hip and knee in better shape. 

Speaking of better shape..... I did weigh yesterday.  Even with all the ice cream making, I'm staying steady on the scale, which is all I can hope for without exercising.  The physical therapist did suggest I raise my calorie count to 1900, instead of 1200.  I have done that for a couple of days, and so far, have maintained my weight.  Here is a picture I'll post in closing........



No comments: