Friday, November 23, 2012

THIS Turkey is Pooped!

I spent all day Wednesday cooking, so I could enjoy Thanksgiving with the rest of the group.  I made my turkey brine, got the bird soaking in it, made two types of stuffing, a sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, and a cranberry compote.  It only took three separate last minute trips to Tom Thumb to get it all done.  I was set.... all I had to do was clean up the kitchen (that took hours, even though I cleaned as I went.


I invited everyone over at noon.  The Coles were on time, and Angie was actually early for her, she got here about 10 after twelve.  I read that it takes a 16 pound turkey 2.5 to 3.0 hours to cook (not stuffed).  I had a 17.25 pound turkey, so I figured if I started it at 9:00, it would be ready about 1pm.  Well, so much for that.  It was around 2 pm when that bird finished.  Oh well, just an hour late.  At least it was moist.  When I took it out of the oven, I just popped in the casseroles to reheat.  The sweet potato casserole didn't brown, so I took my cream brulee torch to it.  That didn't work.  It was done, but it didn't brown really well.  It as good though.  As usual, Mark carved the bird, while Sheila picked the meat off and tasted it to make sure it didn't dry out while he was carving it.  (I'm not sure her tactic worked, but she does it every year.)

NOTE:  I have been unable to upload any pictures to the blog.  I am going to continue to write my story.  Angie (my daughter-pc support person) is out of town tomorrow, but after that if I still can't upload pictures, she'll have to resolve the problem.    I have pictures and videos out the wazoo that I wanted to post.  If I get it fixed any time soon, I'll upload the pictures at a later time.

Anyway, we finally all get settled in, toast our drinks to our holiday, and we dine on all the food I made, plus Sheila's veggie tray and wine selection, and Angie made a salad and also did a couple of pies, some gluten - free desserts.  We all had waaayyyyy too much to eat.  After we finished, everyone except Eric and Morgan went on a walk... even the dog.  We walked a couple of miles.  I want to say, I have been riding my bike, not as much as I should, but I don't walk anymore.  It  hurts my hip too much.  Well, I walked with everyone else.  My hip hurt some while we were walking, especially going up a hill.  We took them to the old Routh cemetery.  They sort of enjoyed crossing the streams, climbing over barricades, and stepping over thick undergrowth to see a cemetery.  I did get a couple of good pictures of Sheila without her sunglasses, and one of her and Mark by my neighbors Thanksgiving Giant Turkey blow up yard decoration.

Then, the games began.  First, it was football.  Dallas got beat... again.... but we all expected that.  Morgan brought her Xbox 360 with Kinect over, and everyone played that.  It's like any Wii game, you compete with Avatars that are custom made for each person.  Sheila played as a partner with Mark on one game where you're in an aquarium, and the glass starts leaking.  They have to keep the leaks plugged, using their hands, feet, head, butt, whatever it takes.  It is fun to watch, but even more fun to play.  You face the TV, and the Avatar is facing away from you, and your movements are what causes the Avatar to move.  When the game is finished, it replays a video of what you were actually doing while playing the game. 

We played and ate desserts the rest of the day.  At some time that evening, I made a few quesadillas for dinner.  Would you believe turkey quesadillas?  Homemade hot sauce (by Chloe)... guacamole...and I had a gluten free turkey taco salad without cheese.  Mine was good though.  Then, the evening turned serious.  PASS THE ACE began.

The grand kids had brought enough quarters for their family, and Papa Gary.  Me?  No, they said I already had a bag of money.  Well, does that suck or what?  Anyway, the girls kept doling out their money for Papa all evening.  He finally won some money, and they made him split his winnings.  Those girls are definitely a hand full.  They do love their card games and betting for money.  Oh yeah, they also like to win. 

I guess every one headed home around 10 pm. I must say, I slept like a log!  Chloe spent the night.  Poor baby.  She still cannot breath through her nose,.  It is really swollen.  She started out the day with gauze taped over the end of it, cause it's so swollen, and her nostrils look enormous.  When every one left, she was uncovered, not caring.  It is so nice that Mark and Sheila are so good to the girls.  We all think of them as family. 

That's it for now.  I did manage to clean up part of the left over mess today.  Gary did most of the work.  It's just as well.  I hurt all over, but especially in my left hip.  Damned walking!  I got a note from Sheila, and she's a little sore also, from all the jumping she did playing the Kinect games.  Ah, one more holiday down the drain.  This was, Gary and I agreed, our most fun holiday in ages.  Just perfect.

Hope your holiday was great too.  Later....

No comments: