Thursday, November 1, 2012

Where is my week?

Crap, I didn't realize it had been that long since I blogged.  I've  been attempting to do it on a more regular basis.  Oh let me see.  I have no idea what I've been doing.  I do remember Tuesday.  I spent the morning at the endo doctor getting the results of my blood sugar testing.  I am a pre-diabetic, so I'm now on a diet, and logging blood sugar counts, etc.  Great.... I cut out gluten, then dairy, now carbs?  What do I live for?   I'm a 6.2 on my test, and I think Sheila was a 6.3.  The doctor thought I should be able to straighten everything out if I cut back on carbs and get daily exercise.  That would also help me lose some of my extra weight.  Damn, she isn't giving me credit for what I've already lost, but whatever.  I have got to get it under 6.0 within 6 months.  Here goes another valiant effort at a different diet.  I am so tired of dieting.  Especially since I'm always hungry.  She told me to start increasing my protein.  She actually wants me to focus on the types of foods that raise my blood sugar, and not to worry about losing weight.  She thinks if I do that, I'll lose weight regardless of how much I eat.  Oh well, on to my afternoon.

Gary had to have a couple of teeth worked on, AGAIN.  It's been four trips for one tooth.  This time, they put him under anesthetic, so I had to go with him.  BORING!  It was supposed to take 2 hours, but it ended up being 4 hours.  That's a long time to be asleep.  He was so funny when he came out.  He was basically, a happy drunk.  He repeated everything over and over.  Thank Gawd I'm not a repeating drunk.  I just go to sleep, regardless of where I am or who I'm with.  (I remember the time I had all the girls over for drinking and Mah Jong and I had a few too many beers.  I left the room and went to sleep.  I woke up the next day with post-it thank you notes all over my body.)  Anyway, Gary survived, but here it is Thursday, and he's still in a lot of pain.  The doctor did say something to me about scraping the bone.  UGH!

I'm back in to riding my bike, trying to do it every day.  I ate cereal for breakfast yesterday and my blood sugar was above 120, which is a no no for me.  I immediately drank a couple of glasses of water and went for a ride.  It was down to 84 when I finished.  I had steel cut oats for breakfast today, so I just went for a ride as soon as I ate.  I never had to record the high count cause the bike ride (ie exercise) brings it down. 

Yesterday was Halloween, so the grand kids came by a couple of times last night.  Morgan went as Katniss, from the Hunger Games movie.  Chloe went as someone from The Capitol.  They were both so cute.
 Morgan as Katniss
Chloe as a Capitol Girl
 
When Joyce comes back in January, I'm going to have a Hunger Games Party.  I haven't worked out the details yet, but there will be games involved.  Oh, and lots of food, just like the real Hunger Games.
 
We had lots of trick or treaters come by.  I guess a little over 100 kids.  Honestly, it was more likely 200.  They come in groups of 6, on average.  That's how many people fit into one car.  They are not neighbor kids, they're from the poorer sections of town.  I really don't care, even teenagers are welcome here.  They're not hurting anyone, just getting free candy.  They are always polite.  One group thanked me for the "full sized" Air Head Candy Strips.  Who knew? 
 
Tonight, Sheila and I met Don K. at the golf course.  I'm having my couples tournament there Saturday afternoon/night.  I needed to work out the logistics of everything with Don and of course, I wanted Sheila's input.  She and Mark will be playing in it, along with Ralph and Margie.  Carlos will probably be my partner.  It depends on how many couples I end up with.  Tomorrow I will make that decision based on if the totalnumber of couples is odd or even numbers.  I need an even number of teams.  Anyway, Don bought our supper.  Then Sheila and I headed out to time how long it takes to set up the holes.  I figured it would take about  1 1/2 hours to do all nine, including travel time, and maybe fixing anything that is a problem.  We then decided to play a couple of holes.  I played better than Sheila, but I finally told her the secret.  Each golf ball has a hole drilled in the middle of it.  You put a miniature glow stick in the hole.  I remembered from several years ago, that the glow stick needs to be parallel to the ground when you hit it, because of the spin created when it's hit.  Sheila had hers just the opposite.  Once I told her, she started doing really well. 
 Here is a picture of Sheila when we were in the dark side of the course.

 
Here is a picture of her when we actually were in an area that was lighted by the driving range lights.
The blue thingy on her head is actually a glow in the dark necklace.  I got some for everyone for safety reasons.  I'll take some pictures Saturday night if I can get in a good lighting situation. 
 
Tomorrow, Sheila and I are taking our friend Dawn to the oncologist.  She had breast cancer about 6 years ago, then earlier this year, she had a tumor that was "breast cancer" removed from her lung.  She now has colon cancer, and brain cancer.  The brain cancer is "breast cancer" also.  Not sure about the colon cancer.  It is a mess.  She has no family here, her immediate family (father, mother and brother) have died, and the closest living relative is a cousin in Ohio.  Sheila, Betty and I will try and get her thru this.  We take her to the doctors, hospital, etc..  Sheila gets the majority of the appointments.  She wanted us to both go with her tomorrow.  I am going to take us gals lunch so we can have a quick bite before we go to the doctor.  There will be too much food (they are huge orders) for us to eat, and Dawn will have a ready made meal to have for the evening.
 
That's it.  I still can't figure out where my week went.  Dang, my memory is failing me.
 
Later... 


No comments: