We stopped several times on the way back. Just a few things to see..
We ended up eating at the High Sierra Bar & Grill. We had burgers and iced tea. If you watched Texas Parks and Wildlife's Bad Land Series (about the murder of Glenn Felts - owner of La Kiva in Terlingua) you will know the place. You will also remember the bond man that owned the High Sierra. He spoke to us when we arrived. He was on his phone wheeling and dealing and buying beers for a couple of people. It was the best burger in Terlingua. Stella enjoyed the meat from half of my burger.
After that, I had Gary go down a dirt road. It was marked private property, and had rules ( no camping, dumping,etc ) posted, but it appeared to be okay to drive it so we did. We got on a road that went up and was sandy and rocky. Gary ended having to put my truck in 4 wheel drive. I didn't think we'd ever find a turn around. Gary got out and took one picture for me of Mule Ear Mountains.
Here is the road....
It was skinny and narrow. Made me nervous. It did have some pretty rock formations. Did I say it was steep and scary?
Here is Gary's picture.
After that, we took a different road that was rougher but not so scary. Here is the picture I took of Mule Ear Mountain..... I think you can tell I used a different lens.
Maybe my pictures explains the reason it is called Mule Ears. It must have been our lucky day, as the moon was out. It is just barely visible in my picture. sigh.....
We made a few more unnecessary stops, then called it a day. We were tired, so we did nothing for a while, then I couldn't think of anything to cook for dinner. I read a recipe on facebook about bar-b-que chicken pizza rolls ups. They turned out pretty good, but were a little too spicy for the main part of a meal. They are great appetizers though. Then, I did laundry. They had singers here tonight for entertainment but I didn't go (you know how much fun laundry is). Gary walked over and listened from outside. He liked it....enough said.
We called it a night early. I edited pictures. So far, I am keeping up. That just means I haven't been taking that many pictures. But we are having fun. I think Gary is going home Thursday or Friday. He was going to stay and leave Saturday, but I told him it is silly to drive on I20 on the weekend. Too many other people will be taking weekend trips. If he leaves Thursday, he will probably drive straight thru.
I am sending half the clothes I brought with me home with him. I did not bring any hot weather clothes. 70 degrees here feels like 80 when you're in the sun, and 60 if you're in the shade. I asked Angie to mail me some shorts and golf shirts, and my passport. I am hoping to go to Mexico for dinner one night while Sheila is here, if she's still coming. I haven't heard from her the past couple of days. Now that I think about it, I haven't heard from Angie nor have I gotten my package of shorts. Hmmmm..... being off the grid has it's drawbacks.
That's it. Just took Stella out for a late potty break. Maybe she won't wet her bed. That's one of the side effects of her bobcat attack.... she is now suffering from incontinence when she is really tired or sleeping. Hey, at least she woke up and asked me to let her out. She really is a good dog.
Later. I think we're hiking or biking tomorrow. My knees are killing me. One final note.... I did not do spell or grammar check. It's the thought that counts.

No comments:
Post a Comment