Monday, we drove to Big Bend. It was rainy and misty. We stopped every 30 minutes so Angie could take pictures. The only thing memorable about the trip was that I tried to use my "go girl" and it failed. That was the high light of the girls and Angie's day. Thank goodness I had a change of cloths with me.
We got here and found out that there is NO cell phone service once you get into the park, proper. They do have WI-FI, but it is spotty, at best. It only works at a super slow bandwidth, and I cannot post pictures, so you'll just have to wait for the good ones. We got in about 8:30pm, ate supper, and hit the sack. We were all car travel exhausted.
Tuesday, we got up early and had a great breakfast. We went to Hot Springs, which you have to hike about 1/2 mile to reach. The girls got in, and the temp was hot....105 degrees per the park people. It used to be a bath house, but now all that's left is the hot water in a rock walled foundation with a sand floor. After that, we went to the Boquillas Canyon. The mexican's came across the river on horseback to sell us knick knacks. Angie bought Chloe a necklace. After that, we came home and I took a nap.
At some time, Angie told me she was going for a hike with the girls to see the "Window". That's a rock feature that overlooks the valley and is the mouth of an old waterfall. I don't know what time for sure they left, but I guess it was around 3:30pm. It was a 2 1/2 mile trip one way. I woke up and played computer games for a while, then I went to look for them around 7:00. I walked about halfway down the first mountain, got tired, and came back up. Dang.... it was steep. Around 8:30, I decided it was dark enough that they would have trouble coming back up the slope. I headed for the ranger station.... and I was mad and upset, to say the least! I was about 1 city block from the station when I heard Morgan and Chloe talking and laughing. Whew.
I wanted to kill them all! I was worried sick. They took a lot longer than they thought it would take. They took pictures and lost track of time. It also took longer to get back than they thought it would. Angie had never set her wristwatch to daylight savings time. The three of them slept like logs!
Today, we headed for Terlingua, to see the ghost town. It was great. We also traveled to Lajita, which is a golf/spa resort. It is beautiful. We also went to the Alamo movie studio set. The girls waded in the Rio..... but didn't go to the Mexico side. On the way back, we accidentally got in the middle of the the Terlingua St. Patricks Day Parade. Everyone waved at us..... it was really a weird parade. We also ate chili, then came back to the cabin.
Morgan and Chloe are working on their Junior Ranger badges they can get from the park people if they complete a work book and get enough stamps. Morgan is becoming a real lunatic about getting hers. She got a vest and everything. They'll find out in the morning if they got enough done.
That's it for now........ We leave tomorrow morning..... we're going to stop some place on the way and spend the night at a motel.... we just don't know where yet.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment