Sunday, July 31, 2011

FRIDAY thru SUNDAY

Friday morning

We had a restful night, and slept in. We puttered around for a while, then Morgan got bored, and decided to do some photography in front of the house. This is with her Kodak, taken without any assistance. Note what her subject is….. PLANKING




I have created a monster. Those two girls love to plank. I’m not sure why, cause when you’re my age, it hurts to get down (knees) and then again to get up (knees and shoulders). Angie goes out for breakfast, and notices that Weight Watchers meets every Tuesday at the Donut Shop. Go figger!



We finally get around, and head out for Pueblo. As we’re leaving Canon City, we pass a beautiful house and see that one lone deer is on the porch eating their potted plants. Ahhhhhh….. memories of living in San Antonio.



We visit the Childrens Art Museum, and pay $5 each to go in. It is one of the best experiences a child eight or under could have. There were a lot of things to do to encourage imagination in the field of art. Chloe made a jewelry box for Papa Frank out of an egg carton, glue, a heart, and vinyl paper with a tape backing. Wow, will Frank be surprised. Morgan made a dragon pillow.





They had a movie room where they were projecting images on the screen and the kids were supposed to fill the shadows with their bodies. Really cool.





One minute they were enjoying that, and the next….. well see for yourself.






We spent 3 hours there, and the kids were never bored. Most of the first floor was for young children, but the hands on art on the second floor kept Chloe and Morgan busy.
After that, we headed for the River Walk. They have a completely different version than San Antonio does. No one can beat San Antonio. However, it’s about 4 city blocks long.



What did the Morgan want to do?



The girls enjoyed riding a paddle boat shaped like a dragon. That took up a full hour.





We then went to eat on the River Walk. We got a good table, and had apps and I had beer.






Morgan played in the fountain, along with about 10 other kids. What did she try and teach them?




RIGHT, Planking!
We headed home, and it got really overcast.



Colorado has the most beautiful cloud formations. Morgan saw a dinosaur and wanted her picture taken. Once again….. what can I say….






It was late and we were hungry, so we headed to a little Italian restaurant. I said it was De
Vito’s, but it’s really called De Ritos. We ate on the patio, and it was cool, and never did rain. Great food.




We were pooped, so we headed home. It was a long day.


Saturday, Angie and Morgan got up early and went to the local Farmers Market. No, Morgan didn’t want to get dressed, and she’s not told no too often. Chloe and I didn’t either, but at least we stayed home.




They brought home breakfast. I spent the morning visiting with a neighbor, Ken. He had to fill me in on all the gossip (I already knew him.) Then we decided to go downtown to see the art festival / fiddle contest. As we’re leaving, we see a deer, and realize it’s Linsey Lowhang……..


We named her that because of the collar. We decided that she (it’s really a guess if it’s a him or her) must be a bad deer, maybe arrested for prostitution, and is under house arrest. Hence, the monitoring device. The festival was a lot of Sam Moon’s jewelry, with only a double mark up. We laughed, cause they didn’t even change the packaging. Morgan finished up the festival with a train ride.




Then we decided to drive around and see the other side of town. We came upon a railroad tressle What can I say, and I couldn’t resist…





Angela was terrified that I was going to fall. I was just worried I’d get run over, cause it is an active train route. We decided to revisit a restaurant we discovered last year. El Caporal Mexican Restaurant. They have Margarita’s to die for! The food is delicious also.



Then we went for a drive. It was again stormy looking, but no rain. We drove into the country side. We aren’t sure if we saw this. For a moment, I thought I saw a trailer, so I took a picture, but then I looked again, and couldn’t see it. Wonder why it didn’t show up in the photo?





The drive was beautiful…. Even with stormy weather threatening….. and no, it didn’t rain.









Another night of sleeping soundly.


Sunday, we got up early and attempted to head to Monarch. Got started, and we saw Lindsey Lowhang again, about 3 blocks from where she was before. Boy, is she gonna be in trouble. Couldn’t get the camera out quick enough. I am going to attempt to see what the deal is. A lot of the town deer have ear tags, but we’ve only see Lindsey wearing a tracking device.


We had one beautiful drive to Monarch, which by the way, is 11,300 some odd feet above sea level. It does get hard to breath up there. Anyway, it was a beautiful drive.









We finally get to the lodge, and it was a mess. They’d had a singles mixer the previous two days, and they hadn’t gotten it cleaned up yet. We spoke with them, and canceled our reservations. They said they understood. Yeah right….. beer cans and trash littered the parking area, dirty towels surrounded the indoor pool, and the room were dirty.


We went back down the mountain, and decided to spend the night at the Hampton Inn. Just a regular double bed room, no microwave, fridge, etc. $149 plus tax. Wow…. This is tourist season. We ate a steak dinner, well the girls did. The two of them downed a 12 oz. Rib Eye steak, while Angie and I shared her quesadillas. All of it was good, but we talked to the girls about spending $50 per meal. We can do it, but they can’t do other stuff. They said they understood. Yeah, right.
We then took the girls swimming. What a beautiful view from the pool area.






Then, Angie took the girls to play miniature golf. Anything to let the girls burn off energy.






They headed downtown, and were so impressed, they came back and picked me up. They too have a River Walk. This time, it IS a river walk.





What did the girls do?


Salida is beautiful. It is so full of life. There are all kinds of outdoor restaurants and bars, and zillion art shops. It was so cool. Course, Chloe did her thing.....

Then, some of the other form of art.
We’re going to go back again tomorrow. They also rent bicycles to ride around town. There are all types of bike racks. Also, they encourage walking. All pedestrians have the right away if they are in a cross walk. There just aren’t many drivers. This is one hopping little town.
We’re back in the room for the evening.

No comments: