Thursday, January 31, 2013

THURSDAY AND MONDAY

Here it is Thursday, and my Xmas decorations are still waiting.  Not all of them, but some of them.  I started yesterday, and was getting ready to wash some clothes (an overlap to the de-Xmasing the house) and found I'm almost completely out of detergent.  I start a load, prepare a list with Gary's help, and off I go.  About 1.5 hours later, I come back home, Gary helps me unload, cause I sorta strained my neck lifting the detergent into the back of the Expedition.  He put it in the laundry room cabinet and closed the door like he should (he sometimes forgets do shut the cabinet door.).

Speaking of soap, I use Tide liquid.  I was reading the paper that almost any detergent will remove stains as well as the next brand, so the suggestion was to buy the cheaper type.  OK, I looked at Sam's and the cost for Tide liquid was about $0.22 a load.  All liquid was $.08 per load.  No brainer, right?  So I decide to try it.  It was heavy, and I probably should not have lifted it so high to get it into the back pop-up tailgate window.  I start on the tree.  My neck is killing me, but I continue.  I remember I need to put in another load of clothes.  I go in, open the cabinet door, and there is liquid soap all over everything.  YUP.... the new jug of detergent is leaking all over everything, and Gary is gone.  I life the new All soap dispenser and the old Tide dispenser out and start cleaning up the mess.  Soap in the cabinet, all over the washer, between the washer and dryer..... EVERYWHERE!  No I have a headache.

Gary finally comes in and I've cleaned up all the mess, contacted All via telephone (they are sending me coupons because I informed them of the problem with the product), and I tell him all that's happened, just because I was trying to save money.  Yup, he's so proud of me.  Mean while, my neck and head hurt, so I take a pain pill.  Back to the tree..... till I get sleepy.  I don't know what time I laid down to rest, but it was before 5pm, and I didn't wake up until 4:30 am.  But guess what..... no pain.  I've worked on things here, and am making progress, but wanted a break.  So, I'm blogging for a few minutes.

Last Monday we had a party at Gerry's.  She served a zillion things to eat.  Corn-chicken chowder, and Italian salad made with feta, olives, artichokes, and I don't know what else, and they were good, but nothing... NOTHING compares to her Almond Joy Cake.  I ate one piece there, and she sent one piece home with me.  Margie brought some bruschetta and other items, and Sheila brought cheeses and I can't remember what else.  There was enough there for 20 people.  We had fun!  We started out playing Hand and Foot, a card game Joyce has taught us.  It worked out great since there were 5 of us and Mah Jong can only support 4 players at a time.  Joyce ended up being the big winner, and all I will say is, Margie is a good player, but I was NOT in last place.

Here are some pictures..

This be Sheila

This be Joyce


This be Gerry

This be the Fab Four and Joyce
left to right,,, me, Joyce, Gerry, Sheila, and Margie


We had fun, and it was sort of cool that on her last party date with us, Joyce won.  Unfortunately, nothing but bragging rights, but she did win.  Margie had to leave early and pick up her grand daughter, so that left Joyce, Gerry, Sheila and me to play Mah Jong.  We only played two hands, but at 4:30, the only winner was Gerry.  Well, we're all winners, but not at Mah Jong.

In my Tapas blog, I mentioned I'd get recipes from the gals.  Well, I got the one for Joyce's dish.  Here is the recipe for Joyce's DELICIOUS CRAB dish,  which I've been calling tarts, and they are officially called quiches.  Joyce said she would add more crab the next time, as she didn't get enough of the taste of the crab.  I liked them just like they were, so I'll stick with the original recipe.



I never got the recipe from Margie, but I did find a photo of her craw fish dish.  I suggest you use Joyce's crab quiche recipe, and swap the crab for the craw fish.  Hey, if it works, let me know.  Also, let me know how to spell craw fish.... spell checker doesn't like crawfish..... and my only options is "craw fish" or crayfish.


Here is the recipe for the winning Tapas Party favorite dish.  Excuse the layout, but I think you can follow it;


















now...

Finally, here's my sandwich recipe.  PETITE CROQUE MONSIER



That's it for this blog.  I am now going to get back to work on de-Xmasing the house.  I am going to try and finish so I can go to Oklahoma next week to visit Janice ( she lives in Houston but will be in Oklahoma visiting my step-Dad ) and Frank.

Coming up next on my social calendar.... Sheila's Super Bowl Party.......

No comments: