Thursday, I attempted to play golf with the FWGA. I have been having issues with my left foot. In the past, I've had a couple of surgeries on it (the right one also), but haven't had trouble for years. I suspect a sever case of plantar faciitis. No big deal, except it hurts something awful when you walk on it, especially the bending part. I have a brace for that ailment, so I put it on and off I go to play golf. I played with a lady that is famous for pulling the golf cart in front of other players, and even though they are supposed to play first, she will start playing in front of them. They have to wait for her to shoot, then pull out of the way. OK, she was there before me, and we were assigned to ride together. She was driving. I tried to tell her that I couldn't do a lot of walking, and it would help if she would wait beside me while I hit, then I'd ride with her to her ball. Well, she would drop me off, and off she go in front of me to hit, then not come get me, and I'd have to walk to get her. It was just too much.... mainly on my nerves, so I only played 7 holes and left. She was driving me and the other 2 ladies crazy with her antics.
Friday, I got up and went grocery shopping. I was having Mark and Sheila over for dinner and cards, and I wanted to get almost everything done Friday so I could rest up on Saturday. See, Sheila and I were in a golf tournament Saturday, and it was a 27 hole tournament, so it would be most of the day. I am so glad I like to plan ahead. I shopped Friday morning, and rested my foot Friday afternoon. I planned on cleaning house in the evening. It does no good to do it early, cause Gary and the girls and the grand dogs would just mess it up. Well, I get ready to fix our dinner and the phone rings, and we are "required" to go see Morgan's first ever drama play. So much for my plans. We end up going out to eat with Eric and Chloe, while Angie went with Morgan to the theater for a dress rehearsal.
Off to El Fenix (Mexican, what else) to eat. We got there at 6:20, and we had to be at the theater by 8pm. All good, cause I hate being late. We finished up eating around 7:00, and Gary and Eric wanted to go to the store to buy Morgan flowers. This sort of confused me, but whatever. We go, and Eric gets Morgan 1 dozen red roses, and Gary gets her..... are you ready for this? An orchid corsage. If you knew Morgan, you wouldn't think she'd want either one, but who am I to pass judgement on two determined me. We got to the theater around 7:15. Just what I need... they only had 6 chairs in the auditorium outside the official theater. Gary finally snagged me on, and I did get to rest my foot.
There are way more girls in drama club than guys, and Morgan played a male swash buckling pirate. I think she played first mate. One thing about it, she had a bigger speaking part than anyone else. Here are some pictures. That is her in the brown outfit, second from the left.
She had a ball. The play was not too bad. They actually filled the entire first floor, and had to open up two more levels of balcony. That was a first. After the big play, all the kids got flowers. Morgan pooh-poohed the idea of a corsage, and immediately took the flowers Eric gave her to the director. He had several other sets, but acted really happy to get them. Morgan ended up with no flowers, but it was of her own choosing. I now have an orchid in my refrigerator that has never been worn. Maybe the dog will eat it.
Saturday, I had to be at the golf course no later than 7:30 to pay and check in. Sheila wasn't there when I got there, at 7am. I went a little early so I could warm up. She got there around 7:30 as well. We both hit a few balls, and she practiced putting. Off we go at 8:30. Well, we played fairly decent as a team. It was a 9-9-9 tournament. 9 holes as a scramble, then 9 holes as a best ball, and 9 holes as alternate shot. If one of us messed up, the other one seemed to be able to pick up the slack. We ended up shooting a 99 net score. Not too bad, but the other 2 guys we were playing with beat us by about 3 strokes. Worst we had was one double bogey.
We didn't figure we'd win, but we didn't want to come in DAL (dead ass last). We didn't have to worry about that though, cause Trimmier was playing (aren't I awful?). Well, since we didn't finish til 3:30, I left immediately. Sheila went in and turned our score in. There were quite a few teams with higher scores (including Trimmier with a net 109) than ours, so we weren't going to be last. There were several other 99's, but the lowest score posted when she left was a 95. Actually, we didn't fare to bad. I have no idea when they'll get the final scoring posted.
I came home and started my shrimp marinading, made the fried rice to reheat later, got the garlic bread ready, and cleaned the guest bathroom. I actually had about 30 minutes to relax before they got here. We had a drink on the patio, then I cooked the shrimp on the grill, and reheated everything else, and made a quick Caesar salad (from a kit of course). I did over cook the shrimp a little, but it did taste good. The four of us ate 2 pounds of shrimp. Sheila really liked the taste, so I'm including the recipe here.
I doubled the recipe, and it turned out great. I used jumbo shrimp, and that's probably why I over cooked them. I wanted to make sure they were done. Live and learn. I didn't take a picture of the shrimp, but I also made a diabetic version of strawberries with Ricotta's cheese. Here is the recipe, but only as reference for something NOT to try. The Ricotta cheese was sort of chalky in texture, thought I did attempt to beat the crap out of it.
That's one good thing about good friends. They know your heart is in the right place, even if the recipe is a dud. On to playing cards. We played Hand and Foot. We learned this from Joyce, Sheila's Mom, the last time she was down. I really like the game. We tried to explain it to Gary, but he plays completely different that the three of us. He likes to hold all the cards in his hand until he's ready to go out. It's hard to explain the rules, on a practice had no less, when he wants to argue with you when you try and tell him logically how to play. Oh well, the jerk ended up winning. Sheila came in second, me third, and Mark DAL. However, Gary LOVED the game.
Oh, here's a picture of the strawberry parfait. Gary added ice cream to his. The rest of us just ate it as it was.
Moving on to Sunday.
Happy Belated Mother's Day. Especially Joyce. That covers all you great Mom's out there, and all of the rest of you that aren't a mother, but have a mother. I hope your day was great. I had a fantastic day. It started out with me getting dressed to go to the gym around 9:30, thinking I'd get it out of the way. Gary was also trying to plan ahead, and he left to walk the dog. I was almost all the way to the gym when Angie called to say they were not going to church this morning, but instead were coming over to cook us breakfast..... Morgan's gift to Angie and me. Well..... I can always exercise tomorrow. Home I headed.
Morgan did indeed cook breakfast. We had scrambled eggs, sausages, and biscuits. It was perfect. She is becoming quite the little chef. She has now declared that she is going to study "the culinary arts" in college. I was corrected when I said she was gong to study to become a chef. I'm sure it will change, but that girl does love to cook. She'll try a recipe even if she doesn't like what she's cooking. She just makes it according to the recipe and refuses to sample it.
Chloe did cat sitting duty for Mark and Sheila while they were on their cruise. Saturday when they came over, they had gotten her a tote bag. They also got me a kitchen towel. THANK YOU SHEILA and MARK, from both of us. Chloe really liked the tote bag.
For Mother's Day, Eric, my son-in-law, treated Angie, Chloe and me to massages. The girls got me flowers, Gary got me one long stemmed rose, chocolates, and some jewelry, Angie got me chocolates and a scarf. I made a pretty good haul. Here's a picture of the loot. Notice, Angie also got me some Karma Cream, which is made in Canada. I do love it. BUT, it is made with patchouli, which gives it an unforgettable smell. That's all I'm gonna say.
Off we go for massages. I've had massages before, but this one was a deep tissue massage. I had reflexology work on my feet, and that was okay. However, the upper body was deep tissue, and man oh man, that crap hurts. I could feel all the muscles moving. When they finish, you just want to lay there and sleep. Not me, I headed to Sprout's to buy some veggies. From there, we gals wanted to see what was happening at Central Market. They are still having bits of Brazil tasting going on. We had fun, and ended up getting the stuff to make baked Brie. Also, some chocolate Brazilian gelato. Yummo. It was so rich, even I couldn't finish a small serving.
Came home, and did take a nap. Angie made turkey tostadas using Rick Bayless spices. They were as good as any restaurant recipe. They were made with black bean puree and fresh guacamole. However, the spices in the turkey is what made it. After dinner, Eric went home to watch sports, Morgan got on the PC, and Angie, Chloe, Gary and I played Hand and Foot. Gary was a jerk again, almost impossible to beat. I was only 195 after the first 2 rounds. I was the idiot that had to follow Gary in order of play. On round 3, I managed to get my score total up to 910. On the final hand, I held all my cards until I was ready to lay down all the red and black melds ready to lay down. I also fed Chloe cards so she could keep picking up the pile. I did that, and I actually made it into my foot pile of cards, and went out immediately. I did this all without picking up any cards from the discard pile, cause all I saw all night long from Gary was a 3. I caught everyone off guard, especially Gary. Our final score was Chloe first place with a score of 6520, Gary with 5430, Angie with 3630, and finally me, with 3225. I was danged proud of that score.
I have decided when we're at my house, it's my rule. We will draw cards for order of play. We will do it every time we start a new game. I am hoping that maybe I won't have to sit behind Gary every time.
All in all, it was a great day!
That was yesterday. I got up this morning, and I can barely lift my arms or turn my head. I called Angie, and she too is extremely sore. She actually missed exercise Boot Camp. She looked up the place on the internet, and my condition was not unusual. I had Gary look at my neck area, and he agreed it is lumpy and swollen. Man, I hurt. We couldn't see tire tracks on my body, so that ruled out me being run over by a truck while I slept, so it had to be the massage. I took a hot shower, then went to the gym. I figured anything would help. I did regular work on lower body, but did the regular upper body regimine, but with very little weight. Then I came home and iced my neck. It is starting to feel better. I'm also attempting to drink lots of water. Man, that was my LAST deep tissue massage.
I also tried running the dishwasher, which I loaded up last night. It stopped mid cycle and the display advised it was completely clogs (versus a small clog). Gary attempted to work on it. Finally I asked him to pull the hose off the garbage disposal and see if maybe it was clogged there. When he pulled the hose off, a little water came out. Then, but when we turned on the dishwasher again, it ran out full force. We started talking. He had installed a new disposal a month or so ago. Since there are only two of us, we seldom use the dishwasher, obviously. But because we didn't do dishes the night before (cards is lots more fun), I had a big pile and attempted to use it. He checked, and about 3 hours after starting working on it, he fixed it. Yup..... he hadn't removed the plug on the disposal side of the disposal. He removed it, and once again, the dishwasher is working. My neck hurts, so Gary just hand washed all the dishes.
That's it for now. Sheila and I are trying to firm up plans to go to the Arboretum tomorrow night for a concert. This week, they have an Elvis impersonator. Margie gave us tickets. Hopefully, I'll get that posted the day after the event.
That's it for now. If you actually read this far, your eyes are probably tired anyway. Have a good one. Sorry, I was just too pooped to look for errors before posting.








No comments:
Post a Comment