Saturday, May 18, 2013

SUDDENLY, it's Saturday

The older I get, the faster time flies.  It seems like only yesterday I blogged.  Alas, I cannot keep up with time.  It is now true that I can get busy doing nothing.  Sounds bad, but now I can actually accomplish what I started.  Now at the end of the day, I can say I've finally spent the day doing "nothing".  What did I accomplish?  "Nothing".  The only problem is, have I succeeded?  Yes.  At what?  Again, "nothing".  I think I have "nothing" else to say on that topic.

Sheila and I did practice golf this week.  Sheila has never had a golf lesson from anyone except me.  Yes, it is "I" who elevated her golf game from never breaks 90, to almost always shoots 83 or less.  Yup, all me.  Here's how I can help her game, and yet not help my own.  I PAY for a lesson.  Then, Sheila and I practice.  I "tell" her what the instructor told me.  See, I can't "show" her cause I just don't get most things they want me to do.  She decides to try it, but she always tweaks it to suit her own version of golf.  Then, all of a sudden she has mastered the shot.  It is probably because I mis-hear what I'm supposed to, make my own version that I cannot accomplish, then Sheila figures out what it should be, and pulls it off.  I can not beat her at golf any more.  She has gotten better every year, while I have gotten worse every year.  Hmmmm...... At least one of us is getting MY money's worth for the lessons.

Joyce (Sheila's Mom) has created a monster.  She introduced Sheila and I to the card game Hand and Foot.  I introduced it to my family.  Chloe, my oldest 14 year old grand daughter, is now addicted to the game.  So is my hubby, Gary, daughter Angela, and to a certain extent, me.  The only problem is, Gary doesn't play an ordinary game.  It is a take off on Canasta, the game of most people my age as a youngster.  Gary likes to hold all possible melds in his hand til the last moment.  The last couple of games we've played, Gary had gotten burned. 

They started a game last night.  I felt bad, so I passed playing with them. (Yes, I was working on nothing again)  The whoops and yee-haws were suddenly filling the quiet.  I found the reason Angie and Chloe were carrying on so loudly was because Gary got burned when the game ended and he had all his cards in his hands.  Yup, for us girls, the objective is to go out while Gary still has a hand full of cards. 

I would explain the rules, but everyone plays it differently.  If you go on the internet, you'll find a million and three ways to play it.  I have a set of rules that I use at my house.  Gary calls my rules the "SMSCR" version of Hand and Foot.  That stands for "Sheila's Mom's Senior Center Rules".  Anyway, last night, Chloe did drag the rule sheet in and demand that I change something because she found on the internet that it was played differently in Mongoose.  Well, whatever.  Do they not understand yet what "SMSCR" means?

This week has gone by fairly fast.  I spent Tuesday at the Endocrinologist, getting biopsies of my two newest thyroid nodules.  No fear, I had my first one when I was 21. ( That was just a few years ago. )  Several biopsies later, none have ever been malignant, so I'm not going to start worrying now.  Anyway, she only got 12 samples done, in a little over an hour.  So, I have to go back in a couple of weeks and get 12 more, then I'll be good for six months.  That was the good part of my doctor appointments.

Now the bad part...... I am no longer 5'10" tall.  I had to also go to the gyno doctor.   I am now officially just barely 5'9".  That's only one inch lost, but it's within only one year.  I am do depressed over that insignificant inch.  Well, it's really NOT insignificant.  I have osteopena (sp?), which is first stage osteoporosis.  It is basically bone loss, for you male readers.  I do take the maximum allowable daily calcium dose.  Here's the weird part.  My body doesn't dispose of calcium correctly, I guess.  I have calcium deposits in the form of cholesterol, deposits in my thyroid, bone spurs, etc..  It's a lose-lose situation.  I now have "moderate" osteopena in my L4 spinal disc, and left hip.  OK, that's probably the reason for my low back and left hip pain.  However, the real problem is......

This has affected my weight.  OK, if you know me, or see my pictures, we'll agree I'm over weight.  However, according to the charts, it was bad at 5"10".  But now that I'm 5'9", it's terrible.  I'm even more over weight than before, and it's just not fair.  I had been thinking that I was losing weight (forget weighing to confirm this) because my pants were getting longer.  Now, I realize that it's because my waist is getting closer to the ground.  I guess that explains why my stomach was getting bigger as I "lost" weight.  Guess someday I'll go on a real official diet.  Note, I said SOMEDAY.  I have "NOTHING" to do til then.

Speaking of doing, I think I'll go buy clothes today.  I threw away all but my newest golf shirts and 2 pairs of shorts last year.  I decided I was either going to lose weight, or buy new clothes this year.  I am a "tad" like Sheila when it comes to shopping.  I hate it, so I only do it in case of emergency.  Since I have not lost weight (I was too busy doing nothing to start a diet or exercise), I have to either continue wearing my 13 pairs of black slacks or buy summer clothes, I'm going shopping for shorts.  In Texas, it is just too hot during the summer to wear black anything.  Macy's is on my list to visit.  SO....

Today, after I hit "publish", I'm getting dressed and going shopping at Fry's, then Macy's, then to Jared's to pick up by Tag Watch.  I took it there to get a new battery.  OK, it costs $125 to get it serviced, and they mail it out.  No problem.  It takes 4 weeks.  Again, no problem.  The problem was, they had it for 2 weeks, then called me and tried to get me to get it refinished for only $325.  Oh, the value is only about $500, cause it's so old.  I said no thank you.  They said OK, we'll have it to you in four to 8 weeks.  WTF?  What happened to the original 4 week commitment.  Well, long story short, I told them they could just return it as it, I'd take it else where.  They could have done all that up-selling up front and saved me time in getting the battery changed.  Well, it's back, un-repaired, and I need to pick it up and take it to another store to get the battery changed.  I hope I have better luck.

Yesterday, Sheila, Gary T and I practiced our golf game.  Gary has a new gadget that analyzes your golf swing.  I tried it.  It determined that my swing ratio needed improving.  It doesn't matter how fast you swing, as long as your downswing is 3 times faster than your back swing.  Hard to believe it.  Anyway, I tried my 7 iron, which is usually good for 115-120 yards.  I couldn't control the ball at all if I made my downswing faster, so I decreased my back swing speed.  WTF?  I started hitting the 7 iron about 130 yards.... in the air.  Well, if you know me, you know there are two things I must have in this world.  They are KITCHEN and GOLF gadgets.  There is little left that I can buy for my kitchen (My latest kitchen purchase was a dust collecting Ninja 3 in 1 cooker), but there are now 2 things on my must have golf gadget list.  The "GolfSense" swing analyzer is one thing I NEED.  I have borrowed Gary T's for a few days.  I'm going to test it again this afternoon.  The other, I haven't seen, but heard about from Sheila.  It's a talking yardage locater.  It's about the size of an iPod nano, it clips on your golf hat, and speaks the yardage to the front, back and center of the green.  It may not work as well as my hand held yardage locater, or my phone app locater, but doesn't it sound cool?  I don't know anyone that has one yet.  Sheila saw it when she played in an away tournament.  I hope Santa is reading my BLOG.

Well, I must close.  Fry's is now open, and Macy's and Jared's should be open at 10.  I am going to get something done this morning.  Have a great day!

No comments: