This is the trophy I won for winning the league championship.
Here are the people that played in my foursome. Ernesto, me, Randy and Harold. The pix were taken by one of the guys that couldn't play because of a shoulder injury.
Sheila, Gary T and I headed out early Thursday morning for Glen Rose. We met up with Carlos, hit the grocery store for margarita fixings, then hit the links for a 9 hole warm up game of golf. After that, we met up with some of the Houston and San Antonio guys for a game of shoot-out.
Please note the beautiful sky before we started the shootout.
Everyone lines up and watches everyone else tee off. Thank goodness it doesn't bother us anymore. Hey, the more the merrier.
Gary T. was in my group, and Sheila and Carlos were in the other group. Gary T. was eliminated on the very first hole. It was a tough par 4, and he started out with a not so long drive, and I sailed mine down. We both ended up in the green side bunker, but I managed to get on in 3 and 2 putted. He came out of the bunker a little short, so he was on in 4 and 2 putted. Unfortunately, no one else made a score higher than a 5, so he was out.
I managed to last until the 5th hole, where I made a bogey. DAMN!
I managed to last until the 5th hole, where I made a bogey. DAMN!
Carlos lasted about as long in their group as I did, maybe a little longer, Sand bagger Sheila made it to the 8th hole which was a par three. Sheila's first shot was short of the green so she had to chip on. Then she needed to sink her putt for par. She missed by a foot, and Bob (the other player left in the tournament) made his par putt. We were all devastated, cause we wanted Sheila to win so bad.
After that, we headed back to the room for frozen margaritas made in my B-day blender. Got there, and I'd forgotten the top piece that holds the ice and activates the ice shaver. Boo hoo! We ended up eating Bar-B-Que beef and sausages, fried onion rings, fried okra, and anything else we could get our mouths on. It was great. Carlos managed to get two free glasses of wine. If it's free, Carlos is going to have it.
Here is a pix of the rainbow that appeared after it rained on us... maybe it was the 3rd hole when the front came in.
After golf, we went in search of Bar-B-Que. We feasted on ribs, brisket, sausages, onion rings, fried okra, etc.. We found out as we were leaving that the restaurant gives away free wine to those that care for it, so Carlos had a couple of glasses. Then, back to the motel for frozen margaritas and some Pass The Ace cards.
WHOOPS…… I forgot to bring the ice holder for the machine. I was devastated! No frozen margaritas. Damn…. All that planning wasted. Anyway, PTA (Pass the Ace) was a hoot, that lasted until 1am. Sheila has NEVER in her life played PTA for so long without winning. The ace is the lowest card, and you’ll lose if you get it… but normally a five is considered a so-so card. For two hours, we never saw a card above a 9. That meant a 5 should be okay. If Sheila got a 5 and kept it, she was ALWAYS low. If she traded it, she’d get a 4 or less and would lose. It was magic… the other three of us loved it. Sheila made us play until she won a hand, that’s the reason for the late night.

Friday, we awoke to NO RAIN! So far, so good. Guess what I'm doing to Carlos' leg. I'm applying the tattoos that I made for us (with a lot of help from my daughter, Angie).
Here are the tattoos I made.
WHOOPS…… I forgot to bring the ice holder for the machine. I was devastated! No frozen margaritas. Damn…. All that planning wasted. Anyway, PTA (Pass the Ace) was a hoot, that lasted until 1am. Sheila has NEVER in her life played PTA for so long without winning. The ace is the lowest card, and you’ll lose if you get it… but normally a five is considered a so-so card. For two hours, we never saw a card above a 9. That meant a 5 should be okay. If Sheila got a 5 and kept it, she was ALWAYS low. If she traded it, she’d get a 4 or less and would lose. It was magic… the other three of us loved it. Sheila made us play until she won a hand, that’s the reason for the late night.

Friday, we awoke to NO RAIN! So far, so good. Guess what I'm doing to Carlos' leg. I'm applying the tattoos that I made for us (with a lot of help from my daughter, Angie).
Here are the tattoos I made.


Sheila (the Beav) cause the Beaver is the Canadian mascot, sorta. Carlos (Zurdo) which is Spanish for Lefty..... yup, he's left handed.
Gary T (aka Devil Dog) cause once a Marine always a Marine. Then there's me..... the Divot Diva.... gosh.... what can I say????
I also got each of us a tee shirt to match, and Gary T. got each of us a head thingy.... I'm not sure what it's called, but do-rag comes to mind. Here we are, all decked out ready for our grand entrance at the golf course.
We had wanted to rent mopeds (it's not like we could do anything with a real bike if it fell over, or like I could kick start one (do they still do that?), but we couldn't find any in the vicinity, so we made do with pix taking by one that was in the parking lot. Are we just too cool?

The four of us headed for the course, where everyone except Sheila entered the putting contest. Gary didn’t get eliminated right off the bat, but he was out before I was, then I was eliminated, then Carlos. The course normally doesn't allow tee shirts, but one of the pro's decided we were just too cool, and made an exception for us so we could wear our outfits.
At 1pm, the “official” golf tournament began. The four of us were in the same group, so we loaded up with beer, and luck. I shot one of the best rounds I’ve had in ages…..83, which led to my handicap being lowered to a 15…which I cannot shoot. Gary T shot an 84 which kept his handicap from being lowered, Sheila shot a career low of 78, and Carlos shot an 80, and his handicap was lowered. We were the best!
I won 1st place in my flight, Sheila didn't win anything for her terrific round, Gary T won 1st in his flight, and Carlos was an "also ran" and didn't win anything in his flight. A rather good finish to a fun day.
Back to the hotel, where we all went to bed fairly early. We got up at the crack of dawn for 27 holes of golf. Thank goodness we got up early. Some bozo had left my tailgate window unlocked, and the interior light (all 6 of them) were on all night and my battery was dead. Carlos, Mr Boy Scout (always be prepared) jump started my car, and we were off.
The morning 18 holed of golf was okay….. I just didn’t play very well at all. I shot a 97, net 83. I placed next to the last in my flight, but did win a skin….YIPPPPEEEEE! Gary T. also did very well, again winning his flight with an 85. Carlos was moved to the A flight with Sheila, and again shot an 80, which won him nada. Sheila shot okay..... well matter of fact, she shot fantastic. She shot her career low round of 75. Yes, that was our Sheila..... she had 6 birdies in that one round. It was amazing.
In the afternoon, we were teamed up with different people for a best ball gross and net for each 4 person team. We played this game in the rain. It was awful. Sheila and her team shot a 73, Carlos' team had a 69, as did Gary's team, and my team had a 66. None of us won any money..... but I did win a closest to the pin. More money!
We ate dinner at the golf course, and then it was back to the hotel, where Sheila and Carlos met with the other big dogs (all the a players) and selected their teams for the Sunday scramble. Then we had a Calcutta. We got to our room sorta late, and here is what our room looked like. Note, all the lamps had things drying on them. Some of our stuff was put in a dryer, but the leather gloves and hats would have been ruined. These pix were taken BEFORE we cleaned it up.







Here are some AFTER cleaning pix.




Finally, it was time to get to bed. We got into bed and Sheila looked up on the ceiling, and there was
this hangy down thing above her head. We weren't sure what it was, but it was fluttering in the breeze from the AC. Sheila wanted me to get it down, but I refused. It could have been a used condom for all I knew, and hey, it wasn't above my head so I could care less. She finally got up and used MY golf umbrella to get it down. We decided it was the dust-bunny from hell.
That's it in the picture. It was huge, to say the least. My golf umbrella will never be the same. We ended the night by writing our names in the dust on the curtain valances, then we conked out.
Here's a pix of Gerry W.

Nothing like using a driver on a par 3 to try and get on the green. I don't care what I looked like... I was warm.



Me, Margie, and Sheila

Gerry, Margie and Sheila
Anyway, we finally finish the round, and we ended up shooting a 71, one under par. We were eating dinner when we realized that we were tied for 1st place in the 1st flight. We actually ended up winning the scorecard playoff, and were the winners. We were all in shock, and extremely happy. I think last year was one of the few years we haven't won our flight, so we are back!




This pix of Sheila's bra and bag is a tribute to the late Michael Jackson. Don't ask for any explanations, cause there are none.
Finally, it was time to get to bed. We got into bed and Sheila looked up on the ceiling, and there was
this hangy down thing above her head. We weren't sure what it was, but it was fluttering in the breeze from the AC. Sheila wanted me to get it down, but I refused. It could have been a used condom for all I knew, and hey, it wasn't above my head so I could care less. She finally got up and used MY golf umbrella to get it down. We decided it was the dust-bunny from hell.
That's it in the picture. It was huge, to say the least. My golf umbrella will never be the same. We ended the night by writing our names in the dust on the curtain valances, then we conked out.We awoke to rain, rain, rain. We all went to the golf course, and they decided to cancel the Sunday Scramble. I was disappointed until we got home. I was pooped.... to say the least. I ran to the golf course on the way home to get some goodies for the S K Tournament and came home and basically laid around napping until bed time. I am getting OLD!
Got up early Monday and headed to El Dorado Country Club to meet Sheila, Gerry and Margie so we could play in the S Komen golf tournament that Sherrill Park ladies have every year. We were lucky that it didn't rain on us.... we all played so-so. Well honestly, we didn't play the first half very well. We decided we couldn't win, so we decided to blow it off and just have fun. We did have fun, but it was a hard course, and the balls didn't roll.. unless we were attempting to hit a green, then they'd roll of the back.
Here's a pix of Gerry W.

Nothing like using a driver on a par 3 to try and get on the green. I don't care what I looked like... I was warm.


Me, Margie, and Sheila

Gerry, Margie and Sheila
Anyway, we finally finish the round, and we ended up shooting a 71, one under par. We were eating dinner when we realized that we were tied for 1st place in the 1st flight. We actually ended up winning the scorecard playoff, and were the winners. We were all in shock, and extremely happy. I think last year was one of the few years we haven't won our flight, so we are back!
I purchased a couple of auction items..... a 2 1/2 foot tall glass urn full of candy. The grand kids were estatic! It has $140 worth of candy in it. I also purchased a *^$^* which I cannot name because I bought it for Angie for Xmas. Margie purchased a wine tasting certificate. We all won some free golf, I won a massage, Sheila won a floral arrangement which is beautiful, she also won a gift certificate to the pro shop there, I wond some golf balls, a putter cover, a hat (I gave it to Gerry), and I don't know what else. We had a ball, and bragged on ourselves all the way home.
Sheila is back slaving away at her job, in addition to writing the Firewheel newsletter. The rest of us are recuperating from all the golf. It was a great week, but I'm still trying to get over it. Hopefully, I'll have something fun to write about before long. Sorry it took so long, but I am just now recovering from all the fun!









No comments:
Post a Comment