Sunday, October 11, 2009

MATCH PLAY RYDER CUP

Yesterday was the day for the Ryder Cup between our AT&T league and another AT&T league. Every year, we accumulate points while playing in our league, and the top 3 in each flight (not based on handicap) play their top 12 people. Anyway, it was yesterday, at Oak Ridge Country Club. Don't get excited about the "country club" portion.... it's just basically a yucky goat farm.

I played against someone with the same handicap as me, so there were no strokes given. He can drive the ball further from the tee than I can, and I still can't get to his ball with my second shot. Needless to say, it was tough. Randy F was my cart partner, and he lost his match set a few holes into the back nine. I hung in there.... we'd swap leads, and then we finally get down to the 17th hole. We both go into the water, for a tie again.

Oh, did I say it was colder than hell? Oh, did I say it was night time? Yes, we had to wait on EVERY shot. It was a 7 hour round. That is ridiculous. The golf course had 3 tournaments going on at the same time, and it's only an 18 hole course. I will NEVER go there again. Oh, and they don't put toilet paper in the ladies restroom unless someone complains. You'd think once they got a complaint, they'd check all the bathrooms (there are two), but NO! They'd wait for me to complain at each stop.

Anyway, I was beat on the last hole. I like to have never found my ball (hit a great drive), but anyway, Randy F talked me into using an extra club because he wanted to make sure I didn't go in the water. (I'd only done it once, and that was not near as many times as he had. Oh well, he is a good coach. Well, I flew the green, and chipping in the dark, over a hill to a green in the dark sucks. I didn't make it onto the green. Then I putted in the dark......I LOST.... by one stroke.

We got into the club house, and we'd lost, 6.5 to 5.5. I didn't particularly lose it, but if I had won, we would have won. I was sooooo peeved about the delay in playing, the cold, playing in the dark, and playing a sandbagger (a real one) that I couldn't hardly eat. Yeah, it was that bad.

Not only that, but the delay in playing caused me to miss dinner at Sheila's. I did call her around 6:30 (we were supposed to be there at 6) and explained that we still had an hour our so to go. She put everything in the fridge, and we're going over there in a few minutes. Talk about a nice hostess. Problem is, it's gonna be left overs. Whoops, guess I better not complain.

That's it. Hopefully, something WARM and fun will happen this week, but I won't hold my breath. There is nothing but rain in the forecast.

SWINE FLU update. I know of two people that have swine flu. Daryl P., who works for AT&T and I've know for years, and Randy F's daughter. Wow......... it's weird.

Later,
Connie

No comments: