Friday, November 6, 2009

FRIDAY ----- FINALLY

Sheila and Mark made it home safe and sound. She was so busy with an install, she didn't get to play in the FWGA end of year tournament. Now we'll never know if she could keep her great golf playing in check. She also said she took a ton of pictures, and she'll send them to me to post once she gets her installation job under control.

I've played a few holes Wed. with Gary T.. Didn't play all that bad, but also didn't play all that well. I guess I've got cabin fever..... it's beautiful out still..... and I've tried to find things to keep my mind busy. I've gone for walks in the parks, and started cooking "never tried before" recipes. I tried Holy Palushka........ it was featured on the Today show. That was Wed. evening, and I invited Angie and the family to come over for dinner. We all agreed it should be called "holy crapoly". It was nasty!

Yesterday, I tried a new recipe for "Chicago-style hot dog slaw" from a World Food magazine. It was decent tasting..... tasted like bread and butter pickle chow-chow. I headed to the store and purchased Hebrew National Dogs, some Brats, and some plain hot-dogs for the girls, and all the stuff to have St. Louis style dawgs! The dawg fixins were...... onion, chili, cheese, mustard, sauerkraut, and the new slaw. None of us ended up eating the slaw on the dawgs, but on the side it was okay. I'll probably NEVER make it again, but it was edible, unlike the Palushka..

The girls started out doing the cooking with Papa's help.

I decided we'd all starve if we had to wait on them to get them cooked on a stick over the chimnea, so we fired up the grill.
By the way, Morgan stayed with me all day cause she has streph throat. Chloe is sitting with her latest accessory, crutches, cause she fell wrong while kicking a soccer ball, and detached muscle/tendon/bone from her hip. The ortho doctor has taken over (instead of the pediatrition) because it wasn't detected early, and that's important to a "clean" heal instead of requiring surgery). We're hoping he's good!
Anyway...... I got the dawgs started, and the girls and Gary finished them up.


Dad has had St. Louis dawgs before, but couldn't remember what he had on his last time he ate them. He was really leery of the sauerkraut. Not to let memory keep him from the full experience, I made him one with everything. As I was told by a fellow from St. Louis......if you don't get a good case of indigestion, then you didn't have enough stuff on it. Well, Dad and I both had enough stuff...... Gary ate cereal (he's such an arse at times), but everyone else enjoyed the meal.



Off I go at 6:45 to a neighborhood meeting with the mayor and some councilmembers to discuss them putting a new bike bridge over the far end of our back yard. Can you believe it's private property, basically, but to make a long story short..... our homeowners president wants to connect his daughters neighborhood to his. He did a lot of preliminary work getting support BEFORE he notified all of us that it had been submitted to the city for consideration. Well, one neighbor and I were there and discussed it (I was very nice for a change). I pointed out that our street is only 27 feet wide, which is not wide enough to be considered safe for a bike lane. Parking is already an issue on nice days (the park has no official parking spots). And the big one.... there is already an existing bike trail between the two, but a small portion of it is on PlanoRd. After the meeting, the Director of the Parks and Trail projects spoke with me. He insisted that he did see why they wanted it, and that he told them it would be considered, but he personally understood why our neighborhood didn't want it. It will be almost impossible to resolve it and make everyone happy, but that first consideration would be to the residents on my street. Whew...... .he also said if it was ever worked out, it would be 15 to 20 years away, as they're already spending their budgets that were planed 10 to 15 years ago. Whew..... safe till I'm dead and gone.
That's it for now. As far as my "new recipe" week is going..... I'm gonna run by Sam's and pick up a deli rotisseree chichen....... Hopefully I'll get my tummy back under control.
Random thought I've had this morning....... Today is NOT yesterday, and there's always tomorrow.

No comments: