Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Oh My Aching Back




All 5th graders at Chloe's school were asked to dress up as a pilgrim for school yesterday. All but 3 boys did it. Here is a pix of Chloe..... she's so cute, and I am NOT prejudice. The other is of the 3 foot tall Dunce cap they made for the special day. Everyone took turns wearing it, thinking it was great fun. In Chloe's district, elementary school is K thru 5th grade. As Chloe says, 5th graders rull the school. I know that they have had an all class camping trip, and other special things planned.

I am finally ready for Thanksgiving. Gawd...... what a chore. I had extra help, which didn't help make it faster or easier. First, I did all my shopping yesterday with a great list. Perfect. Chloe came over to help cook, which was HER idea. Morgan had to go to the doctor because she kept Angie up all night..... she has pneumonia, as always. That goes hand in hand with asthma. After the doctor, she came over to help as well. Chloe made a pumpkin pie all by herself. We did use a store bought crust. My over is a convection that probably needs to be replaced.... as it decides at will when to over heat. It did scorch (that means I pulled the black parts off the edge) a little before I put foil around the edge.

Morgan wasn't feeling up to normal, and nothing made her happy. She did make the homemade sweet cream butter with Chloe. She went home, and hopefully she took a nap. Chloe hung in there. We made sausage-cornbread stuffing, regular stuffing for the bird, two types of sweet potatoes... one praline topped, and the other will be marshmallow topped, we got out hot rolls made and in the fridge for the night, and then Chloe all by herself made cranberry sauce. Gary couldn't stand it that I wasn't doing a pecan pie, so he bought one. That Chloe is funny. She gets so excited when something smells good... like the cranberry. The regular potatoes are ready also.... I almost forgot.

This year, I used a magazine that has you cook like a caterer does. Everything is pre-made, partially cooked, and then you refrigerate it overnight. 30 mins before your required cooking time, you set it out to warm to room temperature, then finish cooking it. This should be interesting. It's either going to be great, or like crap. I have everything made except the turkey and gravy. I could have used their recipe, but I want to do giblet gravy.

Naturally Gary made supper..... a run to Subway for all of us. Chloe left around 8 tonight, and I finished up cleaning about an hour after she left. My back is killing me from standing in the kitchen all day. Chloe is getting really good at chopping. That is her favorite part..... that and stirring. She refuses to taste anything that has the word "ato" in it... so no potato tasting for her, or tomato either. She did try the stuffing. It should be interesting tomorrow.

I am so thankful for my fabulous husband. I couldn't make it without him, and neither could the rest of my family. He's not worked on the fence in a week, but he has worked on Angie's sewer problems, taken Dad on multiple car trips, taken the grand-dogs on walks to the park, helped Chloe feed her friends rabbits while they're on vacation, built a leaf pile so the kids could play in it, and other numerous things to make life fun for his family. I am also thankful for all my fabulous friends. I do have a grand life.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

No comments: