Friday, March 9, 2012

We Didn't Come in DAL

First of all, the good news.  We didn't come in DAL (dead ass last) in the Horseshoe Bay Member Guest Golf Tornament.  Details later in the post.

Come Tuesday morning, I was up bright and early at 6am.  Margie made arrangements with Sheila and Marilyn to meet at my house at 8am so we could ride in my car to Marble Falls, TX, where Margie has a condo at Horseshoe Bay Resort.  I got packed Monday night, and all I had to do was fill the SUV up with gas, and get some ice.  I left and took care of that, and returned to my driveway at 7:45 to see everyone there, bags on the ground, waiting for me to get home.  whoops! They changed the departure time and didn't tell me.   They started loading the car.  I got busy getting the huge plastic Easter Eggs that Gary had tried to sneak past me to put into the trash pile, and Ralph loaded them into his car anbd took them home.  Ralph is Margie's hubby, and he had driven her and Marily to my house.  Sheila drove her own car.  I cannot bear to throw anything away that is not broken.  Thank goodness Margie has a grand daughter that she can decorate her yard for.

Anyway, we did manage to get on the road by 8 am, and it was of course, rush hour traffic.  Marilyn rode shot-gun, and she stomped the floor (thinking  it would slow the car down) all the way thru downtown.  Margie knows it doesn't do any good, she just sat in the back seat screaming.  Sheila was lucky.  She sat behind me and could see anything.  She was the only one that had a half way decent trip thru rush hour with me at the helm.

Our first pit stop was in Waco, at the Corsicana Street Bakery Restaurant.  We all bought baked goods, and Margie bought some coffee in addition to her treats.  We munched on the sweets instead of eating a "real" lunch.  We got to Marble Falls around12:15, and made a quick stop at HEB for food and drinks.  Then it was a quick stop at the condo to unload the food and then we were off to the Slick Rock Course to get in our practice round.  We had a 1 o'clock tee time, so we didn't really have time to do anything else.

 I want to declare right up front, I am sort of like Tiger Woods.  I used to play better golf.  Now I don't.  That's all we have in common, but it sounded good when I thought of that comparison. 

None of the four of us shot a lights out round, but I plalyed worse than awful, a 107.  UGH!  Anyway, we all did enjoy the golf, and the fact that the wind was blowing about 100 mph may have contributed to the scores we were posting.  Well, that "they" got.  After we finished, we went back to the condo starving.  Thank goodness Sheila had brought lasagna with her.  None of us really felt like going out to eat.   We ended up with lots of wine, beer, lasagna, spinach-strawberry salad, and bread.  We enjoyed a great meal.  We did manage to drink some of the prosecco I brought, in addition to some of Margie's wine.  Maybe some of Sheila's wine, and all of Marilyn's wine.  I don't know what we talked about, but we managed to stay up till really late, then hit the sack.

Margie made us all breakfast on Wednesday.  Bacon, eggs, biscuits, and fresh fruit.  Would you believe none of us wanted any wine for breakfast?  Hmmmm, I wonder why.  Anyway, we headed for the tournament.  I played awful, a 57-47, so I did show some improvement the last half.  Everyone else shot okay, but again, not lights out.  Oh well, you can't win them all.  I am beginning to think I'll never win any.  We did enjoy the food and drinks that were provided AFTER the tournament. Margiritas and Mexican food.  We also managed to drink a few beers.   I didn't feel too well, so Sheila drove us home.  (Could it have been the Mexican food?  Hmmmm, I was the only one feeling odd.)   Since we'd eaten at the tournament, we just snacked for dinner.  Again, we managed to drink a little.  (I'd already had a lot)

We got up Thursday, and drove home.  We stopped at HICO and ate at the Koffee Kup Kafe.  We all shared onion rings and fried dill pickles, then we each got a piece of pie.  Sheila got a pie to go for Mark, than we headed home again.  We did arrive in rush hour traffic.  Sheila attempted to take pictures of the new Hunt Bridge that cost Dallas millions of dollars.  It goes from downtown to the slums.  That's all I'm gonna say about that.  I think it was a waste of money.... but I'm not from the slums of south Dallas.

Today, I have attempted to write just enough so you all can know where we went, and who "we" are.  I wanted to get some pictures up on the BLOG.  Hopefully, I'll do better on the narrative on my next blog.  That should be Sunday, cause Sheila and I are "supposed" to play golf in the Polar Bear Open Tournament tomorrow.  It's going to be cold and rainy..... so we'll see what actually happens. 

In the mean time, enjoy the pictures.

No comments: