Monday, June 21, 2010

Promises Promises Promises

So much for promises about taking a lot of pix. Saturday I got up around 5:30 so I could be at the course at 7am to warm up before the tournament started. I got 11 people in a cash money pot, and headed out with my team. It was a scramble format. I played with Wayne, who I've played with before, and two other guys I had never met. We had fun, but shot a team 144. First place was like 140.... but we were still middle of the pack. We did, however, beat Gary T and Malcom, and Carlos' team. Hooray for little victories.


Again, it was so danged hot. I drank lots of water, and finished all 18 holes. Then came home, and got my shrimp recipe ready for Sheila's party. I had all of 2 hours to get everything done. Dang, no time for a nap. We arrived before Margie and Ralph (like that would be hard to do) but after everyone else. Dad went with us, but we took two cars so he could come home whenever he got tired. (He ended up leaving before we ate, and about 1 1/2 hours after we got there.) It was rather warm.
Carlos brought fajita things, tomatillo-avacado salsa, and a red habanero type salsa. Gawd.... I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Sue brought a veggie tray. Dad brought an edible fruit arrangement. It looked like a flower arrangement. Flowers made out of pineapples, cantelopes, melons, strawberried, and chocolate covered green apples scattered throughout. It was delicious. I brought shrimp kabobs..... marinated shrimp with green peppers and pineapple. Sheila made Chicken kabobs with onions, mushrooms, and green and red peppers. I had to get her recipe, cause it was so good. Found out it's also soooooo simple. Margie brought a great salad..... brocolli, other stuff, and fried bacon in it. I'd never had anything like it before, but it is now one of my favorite salads. Joyce topped it all off with a berrie (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, and rasberry) mixture to put on sponge cakes, with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. We ate for a couple of hours. Of course, we had a few brewskies to go with it. Some people had wine. I had to switch to iced tea half way thru cause I was drinking too much.


I swam (maybe I should say floated) in the pool with Carlos, Sue (his wife), Sheila, Joyce, and Sue. I think I only lasted until maybe 9:30 or 10. Too much sun, food, and beer. I was the first party poop to go home. I was exhausted. I'd also eaten so much food (too much spice type) I knew I was going to get sick. Yup.....


My promise to take pictures just didn't work out. When I see Sheila again, I'll get some from her. I know she took some cause I saw the camera in her hand. Before I forget, Mark did a fantastic job doing all the grilling. He did almost everything, but I think Carlos may have cooked the fajita type meat he brought. One thing about it, there was more than enough food for us and the entire country of Egypt.


Sunday, we did fathers day lunch at my house. Like that would be a surprise. We had roast, potatoes-carrots-onions cooked with the roast, then mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, and corn. Everyone agrees that is one of our favorite meals. Gary, Eric and the girls went fishing all morning while I cooked and got everything ready. Angie saw them making grilled water melon on a tv cooking show, so she brought that for dessert. You grill it, then make an ice cream sundae with it, and add a special syrup you cook. It was NASTY! I had dvr'd the show, so I watched it afterwards, and she did it exactly like they did. I just don't see how they could eat that crap.


Today, Angie worked and I played soccer Mom, but it was actually summer school instead of soccer. I picked up Morgan at 10:20, took her to Sonic, then brought her to my house to stay with Gary. I had to get Chloe at 12:25 and then took her to Taco Bueno. Came home, and took Dad to the heart doctor. He is now cleared to have his tooth pulled in the dentist office instead of the hospital. The heart doctor told us there is no way he could predict if Dad would survive it, but saw nothing to indicate that he wouldn't. He was very straight forward.... if it is his time, he'll go. If it's not, he'll do great. Dad likes him cause he doesn't beat around the bush.
I interview a new house cleaner. I've decided to do it once a week instead of every other week. It'll cost just a little more. She seams really nice, and her son sat in the living room and talked to Dad, make that listened to Dad, while she checked out the house. The only bad part is she'll come on Friday afternoons. I sort of like Friday mornings, but we agreed to a schedule that should be easy for all of us.


Came home and tried a recipe for dinner that Angie got from another tv show. It's a Mexican creamed rice dish. I made it, and had to taste it to season it before I baked it. It was one of the best rice dishes I'd ever tasted. I called her to tell her, and she and her brood ended up coming over for dinner. I only had 2 steaks, so she brought some pork sirloins. I made the fire, but Gary did the grill. Everyone liked the rice. Angie and I loved it. We cleaned the kitchen.... make that I cleaned the kitchen, and then we played a little rock band. Everyone left except Morgan... she's spending the night. I have to take her to school in the morning while Chloe gets her braces off. Morgan and I started playing DANCE, but Gary offered to take Chloe to the Plano Band Exihibition. Morgan over heard and decided that would be fun. Off she and Gary went. I took Dad for a car ride, and that was the end of my day.
You know, Angie and her family are over all the time eating with us. We all laugh and talk all thru dinner. I was just thinking tonight, that I hope the girls remember that as a fun time when they grow up. I hope it's a tradition that continues as long as I'm around. It is hectic and a lot of work at times, but we do have fun at dinner.


Tomorrow, Margie, Ralph, Joyce, Mark and I are going out to dinner. Sheila's out of town, and we both like to visit with Joyce, so that will give her something to do while Sheila's gone. We're taking her to Picasso's, where you eat the best Italian food and take your own wine. It will be fun. Gary passed to stay home with Dad. Oh well......


Later, and here's your bumper sticker....

No comments: