Monday, December 10, 2012

Party Hearty !

Last night, Chloe, Morgan and Angie came over for Gingerbread House decorating.  Morgan got extremely bored, extremely fast.  Chloe didn't want to participate, but saw how much fun Angie was having and she decided to join in.  Then, Angie gave quit.  Chloe hung in there.  Unfortunately, she's a perfectionist.  They had fun.  By the way, the kit was made in Canada.  Morgan thought I bought if because Sheila is from Canada.  Honestly, I didn't get it at Costco.... I got it at Sam's. I wonder if the kits sold at Costco are made in the USA.
By the way, this is Chloe and Angie.  Angie has lost so much weight, she doesn't look like the same person.  She looks much more like she did when she was a teen anger.  I am so proud of her, not because she lost weight, but because she is so good to our grand daughters.  She does like to keep them busy.

We also had dinner.  Rick Bayless (PBS Mexico:  One Plate at a time) the famous chef, sells his seasoning packets at Target now.  He was born in Oklahoma, and he owns the Fronterra Restaurant.... and he can cook Mexican food like no one else.  His isn't Tex-Mex..... authentic Mexico style cooking.  She bought a packet for pork carnita tacos.  He advised to marinate thinly sliced red onions all day in lime juice and add to the meat.  We used carb control flour tortillas.  The meat was good.  The onions were weird.  However, when you put the two together.... OMG.... it was like out of this world.  Fantastic.  We are definitely going to make them again.  We tried them with cheese, but the flavor of just the meat and onions was the best, and less calories.  Who Knew?



Today was the Fab Four's Christmas Party.  We were going to golf.... but I changed it to a Mah Jong party because it was supposed to be cold.  Well, I woke up at a little before 4am this morning, and it was still 47 degrees, and extremely windy.  I put one basil plant in the garage... and went back to bed.  I missed the falling snow.  Sheila and Margie said it started snowing around 5am.  It wasn't much, but it did snow!


I imagine people in Canada are laughing.  He man, this is Texas...... it doesn't snow here that often, so any little bit of snow here is a BIG deal.

I straightened up the house and went to Cafe Max and picked up our lunch.  We had a cookie swap, and I provided lunch.  We had a funky chicken salad, we don't know what ethnic group came up with the recipe, but it's sooooo good.  Also, Caesar salad, hot rolls, seafood salad, and a cheese ball Gerry bought.  We had frozen Mojito's, beer, wine, and iced tea.  And.... cookies, cookies, cookies, and candy.  We were four little pigs, that for sure.

We also did our gift exchange.  We draw a name, and get only one person a gift.... usually.  This year, as in the past, Margie got everyone a gift. I did make Sheila some diabetic Patron Coffee Tequila Candy Balls.  They were ok..... I mean, they're better than nothing, but still......  I also bought Gerry a jar of seedless raspberry jam, but she didn't take it home, she'd found some.  I drew Margie's name, and she'd seen a wine chiller attachment she wanted.  I got her one.  You keep it in your freezer, and when you open wine, you insert it into the top, and it has the frozen thingy that chills it as it's poured.  I don't know if it works well, but it costs enough that it "should" work. 

 Margie got my name, and she got me a box of Titleist PRO-v golf balls.  They're expensive, so I made out like a bandit.  Her "everyone got a gift item" was a golfing Santa, with a trophy.  Beautiful.  
By the way.,... yes I am a snaggle tooth in this picture.  I broke a tooth, or something.  I thought I'd lost a veneer, but the dentist said I'd never had one on that particular tooth.  I go in in the morning and get a temporary, and they won't post it to my insurance until I get the final fix.... AFTER the first of the year.  I reached my maximum for this year.  He's sooooo nice.

Gerry got Sheila's name, and gave her a pair of 180's earmuffs with built in earphones.

Sheila like them, cause her ears get cold on her walks.  Now she can listen to music and stay warm while she walks.  All of us want a pair, but Gerry can't remember where she bought them.

Sheila got Gerry's name.  She bought Gerry a purse.  Well, not just any purse.  She got her a wine purse.  I swear, the things we girls can find to buy.  Gerry was really happy with it.  It's sort of snazzy.

We played one hand of Mah Jong.  Gerry won, but we weren't counting it, it was a practice hand.  We started another hand, but never finished.  Got to talking and just ran out of time.  Margie had to be home early (5 pm) cause they were going out.  

I bought a nut cracker as a door prize for the person who won the most money at Mah Jong.  I didn't get a picture of the nut cracker, but it was about 1 foot tall, and was a beautiful silver, ice blue and ice green.  Since we didn't ever play a money hand, instead of giving the nut cracker to the winner, I had the girls draw from three tiles.  Margie drew the winning tile.  We all agreed that Margie is one of the luckiest people we know.  She is always winning something.

They left, and then Angie and the girls came over for dinner.  I had a ton of left over food.  They ate, then left early so Chloe could go to a cheer leading function.  That was about 5:30.  They called again around 8:30 wanting more cookies and some of the beans I had left over from the carnita tacos dinner the night before.  They like their brown pinto beans cooked with a ham hock, but no meat in the beans.  Gary took them some, and then came home and got Annie (Angie's oldest dog) some ham and cheese, and then went back and took Stella with him.  He called before he came home, and said Stella didn't want to leave, could she spend the night.  Well, that was a first.  I said yes.  That lasted about 2 hours, then I had to quit blogging and go pick Stella up.  Stella was ready to come home.  Dogs are just like kids!  They are spoiled.

Nothing else exciting here.  I'm headed to bed, as I have to be at the dentist at 7:30 am.  That's gonna be early.  Night!

No comments: