I mentioned to Sheila that Gary and I were looking. Of course, I was all gung ho, and had to involve her in going with Gary and me to the RV show last spring. She got to witness first hand, how Gary will let you pick what you want, then he does what he does best...... He tells you why it's a dumb idea. He's not a jerk about it though, he'll poke holes in you idea, but immediately tell you what you should do. Once you give up and buy into that idea, you look at it, then make an alternate decision. Then he repeats his plan. I think it's a passive-aggressive way of controlling things. I usually just quit beating my head against the wall and cave.... for a while.
Well, my while had run out, but I decided Sheila's patience with Gary and me couldn't take any more, so I secretly looked for the last 2 or so months. I finally decided last month that I was going to buy one, regardless of what Gary thought. Oh, one important item. He had already moved more than enough money into the checking account for me to buy the travel trailer. One thing led to another, and I decided instead of having to buy a bigger truck to pull the trailer I wanted, it would be easier to buy and RV. I wanted one small enough that I alone could handle, so the hunt was one.
I found it, wavered off and on with Gary's help, then finally decided to blow him off and contacted an RV dealer in Hammond, LA. We agreed over the phone on the cost, the day I would drive down and get it, and he made arrangements for me to stay in their campground for 2 nights. I broke the bad news to Gary two days before I was supposed to do it. (I didn't want to listen to him bitch etc. for too long a period of time, but Angie was in on my plans.) I spoke with the salesman on Monday, and made sure everything would be ready for us. We were to drive down Wednesday, stay in a motel, then pick up the RV on Thursday. I also signed a contract to get a covered 15X48 RV fully enclosed parking place.
I was busy packing, as was Angie, when the salesman called on Tuesday to tell me that they had gone ahead and sold the unit to someone else on Monday evening. Why? Because I hadn't really put any money down. I asked why he hadn't told me I needed to, and he said it was a first come with cash type of sale. Damn, why didn't he tell me to start with? It was a 2012 Z28, brand new, for $70,000. Boy, I was pissed.
Gary was out walking the dog when I got the call. Remember, Gary is still pissed that I'm doing it. Gary comes in and I tell him my bad / his good news. He actually felt bad for me. Makes me think deep down inside he felt sorry for me. He actually encouraged me to find another, that we had all the time in the world, and we already have a storage place ready, and it's just as well cause it wouldn't have lasted ong anyway, as the big fully enclosed ones are hard to come by. I start over.
I remembered I had seen a 2011 just like it at McClain's in one of their out of state locations, but it was priced too high, almost the same as the 2012 new ones, and it was used. I look again, and it's gone, but one exactly like it is now in Fort Worth. I'm thinking it's probably the same one that was just moved. The exact same 2011 used RV is for sale in various places....the state of Washington, the state of Kentucky, etc., for anywhere from $90,000 to $96,000. I called them up, told them my sob story about the sale that got away, and told them I wanted to pay cash for one, and I wanted that particular model, and I wanted it today (that was yesterday). I told them to get the price down, since it was actually a 2 year old model, even if it had only been used 4 months, and to call me with their final rock bottom price cause I didn't want to drive all that way for nothing, and if they didn't give me a good price I'd just look elsewhere.
They called back, had a price of 60 something, and agreed to install a new camera system that came out on the 2012's..... a back up camera system that included side view cameras. I got Gary and Morgan and we headed over at 1pm. I ended up buying it. They are going to install a new monitor for the new camera system and the associated cameras, then I'll go over and camp in it at their location for 1 or 2 nights. They do this so I can try everything out and can either fix what I can't get to work, or show me what I did wrong. They also will give me a 2 hour introduction on the unit and cover all required operating info. Anyway, after all that crap with Gary and the people in Louisiana, I have a small class C motor home, and I saved about $15,000 after all the extras are figured in. I am really excited about it. The first full vacation in it will start Aug.8, the day Mark gets home from his trip to see Sue and Clay in Michigan. (Chloe is cat sitting Paisley)
Here are some pictures of the new toy......
We left Ft. Worth at about 4pm, and I was SUPPOSED to meet Sheila for dinner at 5:00. At 4:45 we were still in the traffic near Ft. Worth so I called Sheila and told her to scratch dinner plans. See, she and Margie and I planned on seeing Magic Mike, the latest hit movie. Margie couldn't meet us both for dinner, so Sheila and I were going to eat, then we would meet up with Margie at the show. We agreed that I'd just meet the two of them at the movie at 7pm.
We got home around 6, so I had time to take a shower and get ready without rushing, I left the house at 6:45, and my phone rang. It was Margie, worried because she was at the theater and couldn't find Sheila or me. What a laugh. Margie is usually late for everything, and this was the FIRST TIME she'd actually ever been to anything early in the entire time I've know her. How funny. Anyway, I reassured her that she was at the correct place. I got there and Sheila was there with Margie yakking. We usually go to the 4ish show, so going to a 7 show was a shock for us. The theater was packed, all women no less, and we got the last front row seat with places to prop our feet up (it's actually a rail that separates handicapped spaces available for wheelchairs).
The show started, and so did the women. I think we must have been the only sober ladies there. The crowd went wild everytime one of the actors did a hip thrust. Margie and Sheila were in there whooping and hollering as well (I may take a few liberties since I am the creative author of this blog). Honestly, I liked the show. I wanted more for the ending, but it was really good.
After the movie, we went to Razoo's Cajun Restaurant for drinks and I got us all an appetizer to share. Alligator Bites and Fries. We had great fun catching up on everything that's been happening. Sheila and I hadn't seen Margie since she went on vacation in Hawaii. We all got caught up, even though I took up most of our time telling my RV saga. I have decided to have an in RV open house as soon as I get the logistics worked out.
Here is something for you to print and put on your refrigerator before you go to see the movie.....
I got home and Morgan and Stella were sleeping on the couch. Some thing just never change. Gor up this morning, and she's begging me to go get the RV early, and to let her have the bed over the drivers area. (Chloe is at camp til Friday). That Morgan, she knows the early bird gets the worm. I told her she could have the top bunk, as long as she did everything I asked her to do. She just looked at me weird, and never said another word. Hmmmmm......
Well, that's enough magic in my life for one day. I hear that TED is one of the funniest movies. That's next up on my list to see. Later.....

No comments:
Post a Comment