Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I'm alive in Galveston

I survived Glen Rose, and drove yesterday to Galveston for a week on the beach in the RV,.  I'm going to start by talking about Glen Rose, and work my way current.

I ended up sticking with my wild haired idea to take the RV to Glen Rose.  I'm still gluten free, and 99% lactose free, and watching sugar.  Eating out can be such a pain, so I decided to take my own food.  Sheila took some snacks, so it worked fairly well for both of us.  I tried to get Sheila to drive the RV when we hit open road, but she refused to even try.  Are you ready for this?  She won't pee in my potty.  What a bummer.  How is she ever going to go camping with me?  Moving along....

We got there and Carlos and Gary were already there.  The four of us play 18 holes, and we did "okay".  Being big spenders, we always play for money.  I don't remember how much, or who won, bet over the weekend, we will all take turns taking money from the other three.  After we finished that, we headed back to the club house to play in the shoot out.  I ended up in the same group as Gary T.  Sheila was in a different group.  Carlos was going to be in I think my group, but he got a call out and had to go in to work.  ALL THE WAY BACK TO DALLAS.  That little piggy Carlos went whee-whee-whee all the way home.  At $$ per mile round trip, plus travel time, and over time, he made the big bucks.  Maybe he'll have us all over for a dinner at his house when he gets paid.

Anyway, Gary T and I ended up being the last two players in our group..... Sheila didn't fare so well in her group.  Gary beat me.  That was one thing, but the BIG THING is, he went on to win the entire shoot out.  That was a quick $225 in his pocket.  Since he only spent $80 entering every possible contest, he made a killing.  We three went out to eat.  At 7:30, the sidewalks pretty much close down during the week.  We found a BBQ place open.  I wanted a steak, but it wasn't meant to be.  I had trouble with everything I ordered.  No sodas, their machine was broken.  After I'd placed my order, I found out they were out of baked potatoes.  I ended up eating BBQ brisket and french fries, and took home the ham and chicken.  (I used it for sandwiches the next couple of days for lunch.)  The BBQ was really good.  We ended up going to bed around 9, though Sheila watched TV.

Next day, we slept in.  We had a tee time of 1:00.  Sheila and I putzed around the room, then drove to the course.  We got there early, and we ate from the stuff we brought with us that was in the fridge.  Very healthy eating, and my "butter" lettuce wrap sandwiches were really good.  We played in that competition, and we all did okay.  None of us won anything, as far as I can remember.  The golf course provided us with a BBQ dinner.  It was good, but I felt like I was eating left over- left overs.  We went back to the hotel, and there was a Texas Holdum tournament going on, but Sheila and I both didn't want to join.  It takes too long, and if you get knocked out, it's boring waiting on a new game to start.  We went back to the room, and she watched more sports on TV.  I think I just kept talking to her.  I knew she didn't have in her hearing aids, but whatever.

Had to get up early Saturday.  We played another 18 hole individual event.  I think I was the only person to win anything, and I won a skin.  Big deal, so did a million other people, so I only got like $15 bucks, maybe less, maybe more.  Then after that, we had a 9 hole team event.  I didn't win anything in it, nor did the others, but we all played Par 3 Poker.  We had dinner at the course again, this time Mexican food.  It's a good thing Sheila was there.  I avoided everything gluten, but almost ate a flour tortilla.  Just wasn't thinking.  Sheila caught me just in the nick of time.  After that, we all got cleaned up at the hotel, then we all headed for Hollywood and Vine.  It's a cafe-bar-band place-pool hall.  Lively little place.  There was also an antique car show there.  Anyway, they decided not to hold the calcutta there, but they did play cards for the par 3 poker.  I won high hand, so I got a quick $210.  Yeah team Connie.  After that, we all headed back to the hotel for the Calcutta.  I took a couple of pictures.  Here's one of Sheila

Joyce, when you see this remember, things ARE usually what they seem, especially when I'm along.  I guarantee, this is a completely original picture.  It has not been photo-shopped or modified in any way.  I'm not saying anything else.  However, Sheila did consume a beer (at least one that I saw) while we were at Hollywood and Vine.

I meant to get a picture of everyone, but didn't get Gary T.  Here's one of Carlos.

We did the calcutta, then everyone went to bed early.  We all wanted to get enough rest to win the scramble, cause the first place team would win about $3500 between them.  Alas, none of my group won.  However, we had fun.  Carlos and Sheila and I went out to eat before we headed back home.  Sheila and I got home about 5:30.  Tired is putting it mildly.  Here are some pictures from Glen Rose.




We call this guy FARTING TOM...just sayin























I hit the sack late Sunday night, cause I stayed up packing for my week in Galveston.  I then turned around and got up and left at 7:30 am so I "hopefully" escaped using one of my 8 yearly permits for parking the RV in my driveway.  I didn't ask for one, so I'm hoping I didn't get reported.  We'll wait and see.  I got here, tired, but all in one piece.  Janice came down to the beach about an hour after I checked in.  I was setting up the sewer and water connections when she showed up, but she got here just in time to help with everything else.  I ended up cooking steaks on the grill, baked potatoes, and onions Veracruz.  That's where you grill them til they're charred on the outside, but the inside is on the softer side, and they you cut them open and spritz fresh lime juice on them.  Sooooo good.  We both slept like logs. 

This morning, I got up before the sun rose, so I took Stella for a stroll.  She loves the beach.  She digs in the sand and beach shrubs... whatever type they are.  Met our neighbors.  Then I cooked my bacon, eggs, and GF hot cakes.  Oh, used some really good sugar free syrup.  Now then, I just have to find out what's in the syrup.  Probably that malto something or other Sheila warned me about.  I already had the syrup, so I used it anyway.  I have taken Stella on more walks since then, and have finally figured out that if I want to watch channel 11 on TV, I have to key in 11-2 on the remote.  That took about 3 hours of trying, calling everyone, searching the internet, and so on.  My neighbor said they have to key inb 11-1.  When they told me that, I tried it, and then when it didn't work, I tried 11-2.  Success.  Course, it's too late now to watch what I wanted, but no big deal.

Here are some pictures I've taken so far.  I think tonight we'll grill pork chops and have risotto with it and a salad.  This beach life is really my style.  Later.



















No comments: