Thursday, September 6, 2012

IT DROPPED AND BROKE !

IT DROPPED - THEN BROKE !!!!


Who'd a thunk it?  Today was the day.  Wait, let me back track.

I took a pain pill and went to bed early.  Unfortunately, I also woke up early.  4:35 to be exact.  I tried to go back to sleep, but visions of our first day of golf kept creeping into my head,  I finally gave up and got up early,  I showered, got dressed, had coffee, and researched some Dow Chemical items I've been wanting.  (That's another entirely different blog).  Finally, it was time to get Margie and Sheila.  The picture below is completely original, no touch ups, not even any cropping.  Did you remember that old saying....

RED SKY IN MORNING, GOLFER TAKE WARNING......RED SKY AT NIGHT, GOLFERS DELIGHT......

 Well, God was telling Margie and me how our day would turn out.  That was it...
CLUE # 1

I got ill yesterday after golf, so I didn't attend the sock hop.  On the way to the golf course, Margie and Sheila filled me in on what happened  It was, of course, a 50s themed dinner and drink fest.  There was dancing (ladies with ladies.... as it's a women only tournament), drinking, food, and entertainment.  Margie finally told the truth about why they missed me so much..... none of them had a camera.  Finally, I know my worth.  I did get some good ideas for a party in two years.  I'm going to have Sheila a surprise 60s birthday party.  I can hardly wait! 

Wooops, back to golf.   I'm gluten free, so I went in today and find that the chef is waiting to see what I want for breakfast.  Everyone else had eggs Benedict, fried potatoes, biscuits, gravy, on and on.  I ordered poached eggs, no bacon or ham, just poached eggs.  They were cooked perfect.  That and a little fruit, and I was set for golf.  Well, after I bought Sheila and I our lucky DAC ball markers, and me new golf gloves.

Here is a picture of our first hole of the day....... Is this beautiful and serene or what?

Things are NOT what they sometimes seem.
CLUE # 2

Yup, our first hole was a par 4, which we both went in the water on the previous day.  Well, I smashed a long drive, and we were off,  Only 148 from the pin, small carry over the same water from the day before.  Ta-da..... Sheila was right of the green, in the bunkers.  No problem for me..... I knock the crap our of my 5 hybrid, and tada.... I have a lie in the same bunker as Sheila.  She makes a beautiful shot out, and we two put for a bogie.  Not the best way to start a tournament.  At least the team we were playing with had the same problem.  Misery loves company.

So the day continued.  Sheila wasn't her usual long cut shot with her driver.  I was okay with mine, but seemed like all day long we both had crappy shots at the same time.  On one hole, a dog leg left par 4, which required one long tee shot (about 190) and then it was only 140 to the hole.  I lucked out and made a long drive, with 130 yards over a rock path thru a water fall.  Sheila went right, and landed in a bunker.  I chunked my left of the path and into the water.  When I say Sheila "landed" in the bunker, that was probably not the correct word.  "Penetrated" would be more accurate. 

Man, all we could see was about a dime size patch of white on the upside of the bunker, next to the overhanging lip.  Yup..... we were screwed on her shot.  It took a while, but I finally convinced Sheila I wanted to take a drop on my shot, shoot over the water, then rely on my superb putting skills to sink for a bogey.  She finally relented.  I went what appeared long, all the way to the back, and her shot was short.  She went to pull her ball out, and that's when she finally agreed that we'd made the right decision.... it was plugged.  According to the rules, she'd have to play her ball as it lies, then I would have to replicate her lie and play mine.  Tweren't no wayh!

We walked back to my ball, and it was only about 10 feet uphill from the flag..... not all that bad.  Are you ready for this?  I sunk that sucker.  We hugged, got some atta girls from our group, and smiled all the way to the next tee box.  I hate to tell you what we did next.... both went left, about 150 out again.  Another bogey.  On and on.

We finished the back nine without anything worse than a bogey.  We also had some birdies.  Yesterday, we were both so sure our long games would be find, but that our approach shots from 100 yards in to the green would do us in, or else the putts would.  We were praying all day yesterday that our short game would come into being.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.
CLUE # 3

It was just the opposite..... I have NEVER hit my irons as straight as I had on the back nine...... tucking those suckers next to the pin.  Sheila also.  We agreed I'd putt first, then she'd putt.  I'd do the best I could for reading the line, but I'd play it as close as possible on the distance.  It worked.  We had several one putts.  The putting was definitely a team effort.  We were fairly confident that we were NOT going to finish last.

IF IT THERE'S A FAN....SHIT WILL ALWAYS HIT IT.
CLUE # 4

We drove to hole #1 (remember were started on 8....).  There were people in carts all over the place.  A couple of idiots played the holes out of order, so they moved them in front of 3 teams in our flight.  That's when it got slow.  We were there for about 20 minutes before we got to tee off.  Both of us had "fair" tee shots.  Another 20 mins, and we both had "fair" fairway shots, then "fair" green shots.  We did get a par cause of a one putt.  Same on the next hole.  Hit, wait, hit wait.  We were ahead of the ladies in our group.  Yipee.... we were doing great.  Then we sat on the tee box on #4 for 30 minutes before we got to hit.

Sheila was short and went in the water.  My shot was pin high.  Unfortunately, it was on a downhill steep slope of a bunker.  There was no way out.  I hit, and failed to get out.  Sheila did the same.  I hit from the new location, and cleared the bunker.  Unfortunately, I also cleared the green .  Sheila got up and hit it out, clearing even my shot.  I was humiliated.  We chipped on from there and two putted for a 6.  On a friggin par 3..... a SIX!  At this point, there were 2 different groups of golfers sitting in their carts watching us.  I think a couple were crying.  I just don't know if it was from the horror, or from laughing so much.  Honestly, they were all having the same thing.  Anger issues at the slow rate of play.

Yada.... we finally finished up with an 80, for a net 69.  Our playing partners ended up with a 75, net 65.  They were tied for 2nd place.  We were middle of the pack.  There is still hope that we can do a little better tomorrow.  Afterwards, we went in to dinner.  Everyone else had beef wellington.... I had a tenderloin steak that was grilled to perfection.  For dessert, they had chocolate souffle, and I had a HUGE vanilla sundae with chocolate syrup, pecans, and a cherry on top.  I'm special... remember that.

We each got a $100 gift certificate to spend.  We could buy from Nike Golf Reps, or from other vendors or the pro-shop.  I got Nike to order me a pair of black golf shoes.  I got a discount, so I still have $11 to spend tomorrow.  There is a Tervis Tumbler I want really bad.  I know, I'm weird.  It has the ounces marked on it.  I also liked the top.

I drove everyone home, and ended up getting home about 4:30.  It was a long... LONG, day.  I've washed a load of clothes, and am just trying to stay awake a little longer,  I am ready for tomorrow.  No expectations on my game at all, but I am going to enjoy myself.  I actually have hope that I can get my game back.

Oh, before I forget.  I have the RV in for repairs.  They have submitted a work authorization to Fleetwood for them to pay for everything that I've complained about, even thought it's out of warranty.  They've also submitted the same thing to CornerStone, whose extended warranty I purchased.  They're trying to get it so I don't have to pay any deductible.  It probably won't be ready this week, but definitely some time next week... I think.  That was all good news for me. 

I apologize for this post if it's rambling.  I am pooped,  It's almost nine... and I'm going to bed at ten. 

I'm going to pay attention to the sky in the morning.  Forget my talent... wish me luck!

No comments: