Friday, February 15, 2013

Dunsmore's Visit

Sue and Clay made it in to Garland on Wednesday evening.  They're here visiting the Coles.  Yesterday, all the ladies played golf with the FWGA.  I did take my camera, but never got it out of my purse.  I didn't play in the same group as Sue & Sheila, but I did play with Margie.  Gerry was in a group with someone else.  We did all catch up at lunch afterwards.  There were so many ladies there, we didn't get to do a lot of visiting.

Stella is highly allergic to fleas.  She got a flea yesterday.  She started scratching immediately, and I checked her and found the flea, and removed it.  She got the normal rash, but wouldn't quit chewing and scratching.  I gave her several doses of Benedryl, but she just won't stop chewing and scratching once she starts.  This morning I gave her a bath with some type of prescription medicine the vet gave me.  It helped a little, but still...... anyway, in addition to the medicine she takes that kills fleas once they bit her, I added a flea collar.  I'm hoping it will maybe repel fleas.  I put a flea collar on her in the summer, but not during the winter.  Well, I guess it's a sign of spring.  If she doesn't get better by next Monday, I'll take her to the vet.  Crap, she needs to be groomed anyway.

Between shopping and dog grooming, I had a busy morning.  Well, not only shopping (grocery store), I had to buy things to make apps to take to Sheila's house.  I took cheddar crackers that have a little cayenne pepper mixed in.  I make them semi-spicy, and also spicy-spicy.  I also took a platter of Casa Dia's..... a recipe a friend of my in St. Louis gave me.  It's a 2 layer tortilla with a cream cheese filling.  Of course, it contains olives, spices, green onions, sour cream and Hatch Chilies.  They're served with salsa.  Her reason for calling them "Casa" Dia's..... she and her husband own a couple of Pasta House Restaurants in St. Louis.  These are the "house" version of an appetizer of the "day".  Very easy to make, and you make them ahead of time and chill them.  It took so long cause I also cleaned the kitchen.  UGH!

This afternoon, Gerry & Don, and Gary and I went to Sheila and Mark's house.  I took my snacks (it was at 3:30) cause I no longer drink without eating.  It keeps me sober.  Course, all I had was iced tea, so it didn't matter.  We got to have a nice visit with Sue and Clay, then we all went to Houlihan's at Firewheel Town Center for dinner.  That was at 5:30. 

Gary and I rode with Don and Gerry.  I told Gerry I knew how to get there.  Well I do, but I was trying to take a shortcut that Sheila showed me last time we went together.  Well, I turned one street too early.  We left before the Coles and Dunsmores, but they got caught up with us while we were making u-turns, etc.  Gerry is a great talker, and a great driver, but she unfortunately cannot do both really well at the same time.  It did take some time to get back where we should be.  But, at least we got there.

Everyone ordered drinks, but Gerry and I did the coolest thing.  I saw on the menu that you could order 3 mini-martinis for something like $9.  They only offered 7 flavors, so I got Gerry to order 3, and I ordered 3, and she and I asked the waiter to give us the 7th flavor on the house.  Would you believe it.... he did?  I was sort of surprised.

Back row, left to right
Lemon Drop, Chocolate, Guavatini, Adam & Eve Apple
Forward rows,left to right
Blue Moon, Cosmo, and Key Lime Pie


After tasting them all, Gerry ordered a large Chocolate Martini.  I ventured out and had a Strawberry-basil Lemonade.  It was really good, not too sweet.  I am going to try and recreate it when my basil crop comes in, or else whenever I go to the grocery store and get some "living" basil.  It was really yummy.

Mark and Sheila both had beers.
 
 
Me, Miss Martini and Gary who had a beer.


Sue had wine, and Clay had I beer, I think.


Don had a martini straight up with jalapeno stuffed olives and Gerry of course had martini samples.


Don and Gary talked almost as much as Gerry and I.  No, I'm serious.  Here's something funny, at least I think so.  I heard Don order his drink.  He and Gerry saw several people they knew in the restaurant, and being the PR type of person that he is, they went to make a quick stop to say hi to all the people they knew.  While they were gone, the waiter picked up Don's empty martini class.  I noticed that there was still one olive on the stick.  I stopped the waiter and told him I wanted the olive.  He looked at me like I was stupid, so I repeated my request.  He gave it to me, I'm sure thinking that I was totally cheap AND ignorant.  I had never heard of a jalapeno stuffed olive, and I wanted to try it.  I didn't want to be rude and ask Don for one, so I personally thought it was a win-win for everyone.  I cut it in half and offered half to Sheila, who hadn't heard of them either.  We both ate it, and it did have a bit of a kick to it.  They were yummy.  I think they'd be great in a glass of beer.  I'm going to try that.  Anyway, our food was great, and we were there for a couple of hours.

After that, we went back to Sheila's where we stayed for a couple more hours.  I feel sorry for Clay and Sue.  I think I talked their ears off.  Lots of catching up to do.  Anyway, since I didn't blog about golf yesterday, I decided to blog about our get together before I went to bed. 

Tomorrow is my golf tournament with the FGA.  I will be taking my camera, but not sure about the pictures.  It's supposed to be really cold and windy.  Later, and I'm off to bed.

No comments: