Friday, March 8, 2013

Spring Break Begins


First off, if this doesn’t make sense, I started this BLOG Thursday, then added to it Friday since I never got to post it.  You’ll get the jest of everything.Thursday was one LONG hectic day.  I left the house at 5:15am, then stopped before I got out of the subdivision to check that I had my cell phone, then programmed in the trip so I could use the google+ map app on my phone.  I actually started the drive at more like 5:30.  I did really well, no wind, just a nice easy drive.  Then, somewhere around 9 something, I came upon Austin.  It took me 22 mins. To go 4 miles.  UGH.  My miles per gallon on that segment of the trip was……

Heading to San Antonio, the wind got really bad.  I spent most of the trip to Corpus Christi fighting the steering wheel.  I got to Mustang Island around 1:45.  I did make 3 stops…. Potty and exercise breaks.  Not much exercise, but I did keep stretching.  I got to the park office, and was informed that they were recommending no RV camping on the beach, as there was very little hard pack.  They did warn me, but did offer to let me go check it out.  Me being the control freak that I am, I did and they were right. Even the driving portion of the beach had some really soft spots.  They were really helpful this time.  They suggested I check out the National Park, as they had more beach which would increase my chance of finding hard pack.  They also recommended I not stay on that beach over night until Friday, as the people that are there are locals up to no good.  Come Friday night, there would be the normal party people, who would probably be noisy, but not up to trouble.  They also warned that there would be no cell service, nor park rangers, so if I had trouble, I’d be in a heap of trouble.  They had one opening for an RV spot for the night (they had an opening because it’s not Spring Break til Friday), and I went ahead and paid for it and then I was off to Padre Island National Seashore. 

I got to Padre Island, and they informed me they had a few RV’s on the beach, but they recommended I not do it.  Why?  Because it was only men, and there were no women drivers.  DUH????  They didn’t want me to even go look.  They did recommend I try their campsite.  I didn’t know they had one, and they also had vacancies for all of Spring Break.  I came here, and it’s dry camping, and maybe 100 yards to the beach, but they actually have a walking path there, and there is a dump station and fresh water here.  Also, you can run generators from 6am til 10pm, then they have to be turned off.  As I sit here and type, I’m running the generator and watching 2 and ½ men.  There is no cell service in the park.  (I am typing this into a word document, and I’ll cut and paste it to the BLOG the next time I’m in town.)  I decided it’s really pretty, and they do have toilets and COLD WATER ONLY showers, but we can use the shower here. 

The camping here is expensive with a Senior National Park Pass, $4 a night, and there is room in each spot for a tow car, so Angie won’t have to pay any extra to stay here.  They do NOT reserve spots, it’s first come first serve, and you pay in advance.  They had 2 remaining spots, so I went ahead and paid for one thru Tuesday.  I also decided to just blow off going back to Mustang Island and to spend the night at the National Park.  It was probably cheaper to pay the $4 and not spend it on gas to drive the round trip again.

I headed to back to town so I could get cell service and let Angie know the change in plans.  She’s cool with the idea, and she’s supposed to drive down with the girls tomorrow evening.  I really think the girls will love the area.  I brought their boogie boards, some kites, and Angie is bringing sand toys.  It is beautiful here.  Friday I’ll venture out and take a few pictures, and hopefully I can post them when I again go to town.  Oh, while I was in town, I did decide to eat out.  Where?  What-a-burger!  I even got an order of chicken strips so I can have a hot meal tomorrow. 

Sheila sent me an email (I read it at What-a-burger) saying they were spending the day packing, and they are heading down tomorrow to Port Aransas, which is about 30 miles from the National Park.  (I am calling it the National Park, but that’s not the official name.)  We may get together with them on Sunday.  Depends on how everything is going.  The weather report said it’s not going to be sunny again until Tuesday.  That’s bad, because they’re only staying for 5 days.  Oh well, they’re Canadian, they’ll be glad it isn’t snowing.

As for the joy of owning your own RV?  The towel bar fell off during the trip.  No problem, I have a screw driver.  Well, for the life of me I cannot get it to stay up.  It is frustrating when you can’t figure out something so simple.  It may be a Walmart “special” type of bar, but the screws just won’t engage in the bracket, and I am afraid I’ll damage the wall if I work on it any more.  On my last trip with Sheila and Joyce, I was the only one that took a shower in the RV, but I have noticed that if you move the hand sprayer just so, water squirts out of the knob control section.  When Gary and I cleaned it up after the last trip, there was water in the under storage area below the shower.  I decided since I had the screw driver out, I’d attempt to see how it works.  I am proud of myself on this one.  I took it apart and reseated the washer, and took a shower.  It didn’t squirt water like before, and I checked the under storage compartment…. It is dry.  I also had an interior light that didn’t work, and all I had to do was reseat the halogen bulb, which is good, cause I didn’t have a spare lamp of that type.  So far, everything else works.

They have no electric here, dry camping means no hook-ups of any type.  They let you run generators from 6am until 10pm.  I turned on the generator and watched TV.  That is a big deal, cause getting the antenna in the correct position to locate Corpus channels was a problem.  Know what?  I could find a zillion Spanish channels, but had trouble getting it aimed.  I finally figured out that you can turn on a digital channel strength meter in the TV and from the inside of the RV, rotate the antenna till you get a good signal.  I did manage to watch Two and a Half Men, so of American Idol, but really, nothing I wanted to watch.  So, at 10pm, I turned off the generator and headed to my bed (I like to sleep in the cab over bed). 

Of course, the ass hole (pardon my French) next door doesn’t evidently have a clock.  His generator was running, and it is really noisy.  I tried ear plugs, but no relief.  Finally, at 11pm, I got dressed and went over and knocked on his door.  He wouldn’t open the door, and he couldn’t hear what I was saying thru the window.  I held up 10 fingers and then gestured covering up my ears.  He was probably 80 years old, but had a brand new Winnebago Van Conversion.  He finally said ok, and turned it off.  Peace at last.

I’m in town at a German Cafe..... food is expensive, but the wifi is free.  No pictures.... the free wifi is extremely slow.

No comments: