Thursday, March 14, 2013

Birthdays and Surfing


Where has the week gone?  I guess I’ve been having fun cause the time has flown by. 
I think this is still called a gecko..... that's what we call them at my house.  Cute little booger!
 
 
The 12th was Angie’s birthday.  She’s 34.  My oh my, talk about time flying.  We started the day out by riding our bikes to the visitor center.  We had an ice cream (yes, I paid for it later) and I bought a can of WD 40, then we drove back.  ( Chloe didn’t go with us, she was too tired and sore from surfing all day on Monday. )  That was our “official” exercise for the day.

When we got back, Angie took the girls to the other side of the bay (rode the ferry out of Port Aransas) to visit Chloe’s best friend, Savanna, who is there visiting her grandfather.  Talk about a small world, on the way there, they saw another girl that Chloe goes to school with.  They spent the afternoon seeing “The oldest tree in Texas” and visiting with Savanna and her family. 


 While they were gone, I nested.  That’s Mimi Speak for “cleaned the RV”.  I feel a little calmer when it’s a little more organized. The RV is so tiny, that any small amount of clutter can make it difficult to cook or walk thru.  I also made a batch of brownies, and made a dump run and filled the tank with fresh water.

When the girls came home, I had the RV light string spelling “Angie Bday” up, and the girls got excited.  We girls fixed Angie dinner, grilled steak, corn and squash, along with cooked new potatoes.  Then we hiked up the sand dune behind the RV to watch Comet Panstarrs.  It was just too cloudy, though we did have a beautiful sunset.  Morgan remarks every night that they have a zillion stars here at night.  I must admit, the sky is beautiful, and mainly because there isn’t any ground light. 


After that, we came in and had birthday brownie (instead of cake), sang and had Angie open her gifts.  The girls got her several cans of tennis balls.  I got her a beach cover-up.  A little on the late side (our vacation time is running out fast), but it was the thought that counts.  When we all get home, we’ll have her official birthday celebration. 
 





Chloe took a shower and washed her hair.  That little turd and her long hair.  She used ¾ a tank of water, and now the grey holding tank is ¾ full.  From now on, it’s cold showers for her at the camp bathrooms.
Wednesday was wind surfing lessons for the girls.  Angie and the girls convinced me to stay in the National Park one more day instead of moving to Mustang Island.  While they were doing the wind surfing lessons, I cleaned the RV again, made another dump and water run, then waited, and waited, and waited for them to return.  When they finally got back, they had great stories to tell of Morgan and Chloe learning to wind-surf.  Angie didn’t do videos, but Chloe picked it up quickly.  Morgan had a wee bit of trouble, and Angie ended up going out and dragging the wind-surf board ½ back to shore after Morgan got stranded up wind, away from the lesson area.  Oh well, it makes for a good story.


While they ate lunch, we decided (no, I didn’t bring it up, Angie did) to go ahead and move to Mustang Island.  The decision to move, and the actual arrival time here at Mustang Island was about 1 ½ hour.  Not bad.  I must say, it is nice to have electricity at the drop of a hat.  It’s not hard to turn on the generator at all, but having Wifi and cell service at all times is great.  As for TV?  It quit working..  I found out last night that it is the front TV only that has a problem, so the antenna is fine, and I suspect the control panel has a problem.  Every DVD, TV, Antenna, etc., is wired to the control panel, and you just select which item each TV wants display.  I may look at that today, or I may have to wait til I get home.  It depends on how it goes today if I even look at it.
 
I got up this morning at 4am.  Just couldn’t sleep any later.  I’ve already had one cup of coffee, and have irritated Chloe because it took so long for the coffee to brew.  As she said, the perking was keeping her awake.  Our current plan for today is that Angie will leave for home, then the girls and I will leave here tomorrow and start home.  Not sure if we’ll stop along the way or not, but we will be home for sure come Monday at the start of school.
I have to say one thing before I post this.  The camp host here on Mustang Island is super.  He came over last night, introduced himself, gave each girl a blow-pop sucker, gave each of us a beautiful sea shell, provided us with a typed sheet of amenities (including RV service for emergencies and a few restaurant recommendations including a pizza place and Doc’s restaurant), invited us to his place for complimentary morning coffee which is served til 11am at his place, chatted for just a few minutes, then he was gone.  I am going to write a note about him to the Parks department.  He was professional, friendly, only stayed a few minutes, and yet he did more in 5 minutes than all the other State and National Park hosts combined.  It was such a positive thing to encounter on arrival.
I also checked out the beach area where Sheila, Joyce and I stayed.  It had a ton of people there camping.  It is no longer flooded and yesterday evening, it had a good area to drive on.  I still don’t think there’s enough hard sand to camp on in the RV, but it is immaculate.  I’m not sure what’s on the agenda today, but I do want to take the girls shell hunting before we leave.
I'm going to post this and try and find an adventure that will be fun to read.

No comments: