Sunday, October 26, 2008

Covino's - Pass the Ace


Saturday was one boring day for me. Felt good, but there's just nothing I can physically do that is interesting. I did walk Stella, and washed clothes, but is that boring or what? Gary got the tiles glued (whatever you call it) in place, and today he's going to grout. The job of laying them took longer than expected, so he was late getting ready to go out and eat.
Sheila and Mark got here on time, and Sheila DID win her football bet with Dad. She took Texas, and he took OSU. I did watch the game, and it was good until the very last throw, when OSU didn't score. Dad lost another $2 bill to Sheila. She pays him in Canadian money, and he pays her in $2 bills. I think that, and the chance to gloat is the only reason they bet.
Since Gary was late getting ready, Sheila, Mark and I started out drinking beer. We went to Covino's, which is a little hole in the wall Mom and Pop place at Parker and Independence in Plano. They don't sell alcohol, but they let you bring your own bottle and have a $2 corking fee, which is cheap. Sheila and Mark provided the wine for the evening. We ate on the patio. Now, don't get too excited..... the patio is actually the front of the restaurant that abuts to the parking lot. But, we all enjoyed it, and it was really quiet.... except for Boccelli singing in the background.

We started out with fried Calamari and salads. Gary had spaghetti and meat sauce, Mark had spaghetti with white clam sauce, Sheila had the seafood special, and I had spaghetti with sausage, onions and peppers. The waiter described the seafood special as clams, mussels and oysters in a red sauce. Thank goodness he was wrong.... it was with shrimp instead of oysters. Sheila like it. My plate was the biggest. I expected slices of sausage, but it ended up being 3 entire sausage links, and was very good. Our total bill came to $70, which we thought was cheap for 4 people, even if we did bring our own 3 bottles of wine.
Since it's difficult to cook, I decided on the way home we needed to stop and buy ice cream. We came home and had Starbucks Coffee Liquor over Bryers Chocolate ice cream. Very good. We then tried Starbucks Cream Liquor over Vanilla ice cream. Good. We voted and decided the Chocolate concoction was the best. We all pigged out, and played poker.
We played my favorite game, pass the ace. You only have to mess with one card, and the object is to not get caught with the lowest card.... ace being lowest and king being highest. We played anywhere from $.25 to $1 per hand. I hate to brag, but I think Sheila lost the most and I won the most. I am good!

It was a great evening! Today, I'm going to fold clothes and urge Gary to finish the tile. I think that's what you call it when you nag....... Dad and Janice (my sister from Houston) will fly in tonight at around 9 p.m., so I need to get a few things done today.

No comments: