Monday, April 30, 2012

All Things Bicycle

Today, I felt cranky.  I decided to see if the maids cleaned the top of the refrigerator THIS week.  They were late getting here, so they got here at 10am.  I ran an errand and came home as they were leaving.  I hurried in and checked the refrigerator top, and no, it was not cleaned.  I decided to fire them.  I paid them for their 1 hour and 15 minutes of cleaning and told them very nicely I had really enjoyed them, but I would no longer need therm.  They didn't say anything, just thanked me and left. 

Gary and I talked about this last night.  I was basically paying each of them $33 an hour to work here, and they weren't even staying their agreed length of time.  He wants me to hire his niece, but I don't want to get involved with ANY family when it comes to working for me.  Well, the grand kids maybe, so they can earn money.  But I just don't think money and family mix.  If they didn't do something like I wanted, it would really be a mess if you wanted to get rid of them.  Gary said he'd help me in the mean time.  That means he'll do the floors and one bathroom and one bedroom, and I'll do the other 2 baths and everything else except the kitchen, which we'll share.  That sounds weird maybe, but we pretty much share the workload anyway. 

Because the maids were late, we didn't go for a walk until 2pm.  I have decided that it is getting too warm to go that late in the afternoon.  I need to stick to mornings when it's cooler, until I get in better shape.  I sure was wanting to ride a bike.  I came back from my 2.7 mile walk, and started searching the Internet for a bike to buy.

OMG!  There are a zillion out there.  What to do.  Here are some of the more interesting bikes out there.

Of course, I started with the basic 2 wheelers.  Here are two that I'm leaning towards.

This is a basic bike.  I definitely want to sit more upright, and have my hands above my butt.

This one would work, cause it's got an electric motor.  That would sort of defeat the exercise portion, but maybe I could ride further, and just use the engine when I get too tired to ride anymore.  I can have that as a way to get home.

Angie honestly wants me to buy a 3wheeled tricycle.  She thinks I'd get more use out of it.  Also, it doesn't require balance.  This one is only $250 at Target.  I wonder if this would make my hips look wider.  I'll have to think about that.

That's when I got bored and started branching out.  Isn't the Internet just fascinating?

Then, there is a five seater bike.  It's called a Conference Bike.  Notice, everyone sits facing each other. 
 This is what I'd need.  One that has a cooler option.
 Here's one with a towing attachment.  I could maybe tow my golf clubs.

Here's a 7 person version.  Oh, you can get an adapter so that you can put a child's car seat on by replacing the seat with a special order car seat.

This next bike is made in Minnesota, no less, by a company called Crewzer.  Why there, I wonder.  Anyway, it is one of the most unique I saw.  It's powered by "rowing".  You, you pull the handle bars towards you while simultaneously pushing on both pedals.  This looks like something Mark could use.

To see a video of it, just go to their web site.


Not sure what to buy?  Try "Wheel Fun Rentals" before you buy.  The closest site is Denver, Co.
Here are a couple of their items....
The above is just a small 4 wheeler.

 Then we have the 3 wheeler.
This is what we'd need for movie night to get to and from the restaurant. 

Actually, it would be perfect for Gary, Me, Angie, Eric, Chloe, Morgan, and we could tie the 3 dogs and one cat in the baby area in the front.  Gary nixed this, thinking it was too big for the park cause we wouldn't be able to pass anyone due to the width of the trail.  Bummer.

The one below has actually been clocked at 50 mph on a level surface.  I'm thinking this won't be my next bike.  I mean, at $5,000 it's probably a steal, but going 15 MPH is enough to scare me to death.  Not only that, it looks like you have to squat to get into it.  That I can do, but to get out, I'd have to go from squatting to standing.  Yeah, like I could do that!



Our Canadian friends have developed the Little Deuce Coupe, made by:
 Quadracycle International
 Just your normal 4 wheeler, but...
 Its store upright.
It tows downright weird.  However, this one actually advertises it's golf bag attachment so you can use it on the links. 
For $4000, you can actually get an elliptical bbike that is NOT in a gym.  I don't think the guy is included in the price.


The next one is a Carving Scooter. No, it's not about cooking, but you carve it to propel it.  Much like you snow ski and use your legs to change directions.  ?????
I wonder if her body is actually that slim, or it the scooter creates an optical illusion.  If that's the case, then I MUST buy this one.

Okay, I've wasted an entire evening looking at bicycles.  You know what?  I can already tell it's going to be like the travel trailer.  I now have too much information to make a decision.  Well, maybe not.  This is nothing like the expense involved in the trailer.  I may actually get this one done, in spite of Gary.

Tomorrow I meet with Don K. at the golf course.  He wants me to run the Couples Tournaments.  I meet him at 11:30, then Sheila will come up there after her dental appointment.  We're going to practice our chipping and putting.

Later....

No comments: